Nine Muslim Ministers still retain their privileges

RUCHIRA DILAN MADUSANKA- JUN 06 2019A senior source in the Government said, there is no change in the privileges given to the nine Muslim Ministers, though a statement has been made that they resigned.
Their security, official vehicles, staff, and Parliament privileges remain as it is.
Deputy Inspector General of Police, of the Ministers’ Security Division said, the security staff of the Cabinet Ministers, State and Deputy Ministers, who had resigned, have not been removed yet.
Furthermore, former Cabinet Ministers Rauff Hakeem, Rishad Bathiudeen, and Kabir Hashim have been given 10 security officers each and have additionally been provided Special Task Force security due to the security threats. Other State Ministers and Deputy Ministers have been given six security officers each.
He added that this will be discussed at the security council meeting today (6), with the participation of the Defence Secretary.
In addition, it has been decided to offer front bench seats to Bathiudeen, Hakeem, and Hashim.
Source from Parliament said that the office of the Leader of the House has informed that Bathiudeen and Hakeem, as Party Leaders and Hashim as the United National Party Chairman be given seats.
It is reported that this had been approved at the Party Leaders’ meeting.
However, the back-bench seats will be provided for the rest of those who resigned from their posts.
The sources added that those seats would be allocated after the Parliament General Secretary is informed by the Presidential Secretariat.
However, the Speaker took steps to offer a back-bench seat to Parliamentarian Ravi Karunanayake when he was removed from his Ministerial post. Karunanayake is currently a Minister.
The Joint Opposition complains that if the seats are offered on the Party Leader basis, Udaya Gammanpila, Chandrasiri Gajadeera, V. Radhakrishnan and Palani Digambaram also should be offered the front seats.
They will draw the attention of the Speaker regarding this issue today in Parliament.
It is also reported that none of the resigned Ministers have given their official vehicles back.
In addition, the sources added that the official vehicles and offices used by the private staff of the said Ministers are also still used by them.