Peace for the World

Peace for the World
First democratic leader of Justice the Godfather of the Sri Lankan Tamil Struggle: Honourable Samuel James Veluppillai Chelvanayakam

Friday, February 15, 2019

Trump Declares National Emergency in ‘Slap in the Face to Military Families’

The president will divert billions that would have gone to military construction projects.

Engineers from the 937th Clearance Company prepare to place concertina wire on the Arizona-Mexico border wall on Dec. 1, 2018. (U.S. Army photo by 2nd Lt. Corey Maisch)Engineers from the 937th Clearance Company prepare to place concertina wire on the Arizona-Mexico border wall on Dec. 1, 2018. (U.S. Army photo by 2nd Lt. Corey Maisch)

No photo description available.
BY 
 |  President Donald Trump’s plan to declare a national emergency will divert $3.6 billion earmarked for U.S. military construction projects—possibly hospitals and infrastructure improvements—to fund a portion of his long-promised wall along the southern border, a move that experts say is an affront to military families.

“I’m going to be signing a national emergency,” Trump said Feb. 15 in remarks in the Rose Garden. “It has been signed many times before … for far less important things in some cases, in many cases.

 We are talking about an invasion of our country with drugs, with human traffickers, with all types of criminals and gangs.”

In total, Trump will have access to roughly $8 billion that can be used to secure the southern border, said acting White House chief of staff Mick Mulvaney in a call with reporters ahead of the president’s remarks.

The announcement, which came as the president also planned to sign into law a government spending bill to avoid a second government shutdown, comes just days after a Senate Armed Services subcommittee held a marathon hearing on the deplorable state of some military housing.

During the hearing, military families described in shocking detail living in crumbling homes, and lawmakers expressed outrage at the allegations of “unacceptable” conditions of privately managed housing. On the same day, a group released a survey of living conditions at U.S. bases that described black mold, lead paint, infestations, flooding, and more.

“Having the president declare a national emergency in order to use [military construction] funding just days after a horrible SASC hearing on the terrible state of privatized military housing is a slap in the face to military families,” said Loren DeJonge Schulman of the Center for a New American Security. “The trade-off may not be direct—it’s not clear what the funding might have otherwise done—but it’s an ugly symbol of priorities.”

Trump will use a legal provision that allows the president to redirect unobligated military construction funds—money that has been appropriated by Congress and set aside for specific projects but not yet issued—in the event of a war or national emergency.

In addition to the $3.6 billion in military construction funds, the White House has identified $1.375 billion in the appropriations bill the president plans to sign to avert the shutdown, $600 million from the Treasury Department’s forfeiture funds, and roughly $2.5 billion from Pentagon funding for counterdrug activities, some of which will be reprogrammed from other Defense Department accounts, Mulvaney said.

Congressional aides said as of Feb. 14 the Defense Department had just $800 million in its counterdrug coffers.

Trump previously asked Congress for $5.7 billion this year to build the wall along the U.S.-Mexico border.