Peace for the World

Peace for the World
First democratic leader of Justice the Godfather of the Sri Lankan Tamil Struggle: Honourable Samuel James Veluppillai Chelvanayakam

Sunday, February 11, 2018

Ongoing navy occupation of most of Myliddy preventing fishing and resettlement


Home11Feb 2018
Myliddy residents have complained that fishermen are unable to restart their livelihoods properly as Myliddy harbour remains partially occupied by the navy. The Myliddy resettlement committee also accused the Sri Lankan government and navy of spreading false propaganda about having released the harbour.
With only a small part of the harbour released after 27 years of occupation in July last year, not many boats can dock there, the committee said. The fishermen cannot freely go about their livelihoods, aggravated further by the construction of a navy watchpoint on part of the harbour.
Hardly any of the 54 acres released last year were habitation lands, the committee said. The vast majority of Myliddy residents’ homes still remain under navy occupation.
Without releasing the whole harbour and without releasing people’s homes, resettlement and a return to normality are impossible, the committee said.