Peace for the World

Peace for the World
First democratic leader of Justice the Godfather of the Sri Lankan Tamil Struggle: Honourable Samuel James Veluppillai Chelvanayakam

Sunday, May 15, 2016

PMSD has recommended bombproof vehicles for Prime Minister – Sagala


article_image
 
The Prime Minister’s Security Division (PMSD) has recommended the immediate acquisition of bullet proof vehicles capable of withstanding explosions.

Law and Order and Southern Development Minister Sagala Ratnayake, who is also Chief of Staff of Premier Wickremesinghe, yesterday said the PMSD had made the recommendation for acquiring ‘security vehicles’ after having examined threats faced by the Premier.

In a statement issued through his office as well as the Office of the Prime Minister, Minister Ratnayake revealed that PMSD had advised that the UNP leader should be provided with ‘security vehicles.’

Minister Ratnayake was responding to allegations made by JVP leader and Chief Opposition Whip Anura Kumara Dissanayake in parliament regarding the allocation of public funds for the acquisition of ‘security vehicles’ for the Premier. Minister Ratnayake said that subsequent to MP Dissanayake’s statement, various statements had been issued in that regard.

The Law and Order Minister said the PMSD’s recommendation had been forwarded to the Treasury by the Prime Minister’s Office. According to him, two ‘security vehicles’ would cost the government Rs. 128 mn and due to the purchase being exempted from duty, payment of Rs. 468 mn on those levies didn’t arise.

The PM’s Office hadn’t made available required vehicles for the Premier’s use in spite of the vehicles provided by the President’s Office not being in a suitable condition, Minister Ratnayake said, adding that since January 9, 2015 Rs. 9.8 mn had been spent for maintenance of those vehicles as well as their repairs.

Minister Ratnayake claimed that the Premier had often used his private vehicles without being a burden to the PM’s Office.

Minister Ratnayake said that the President’s Office had made available two cars and one jeep following the last presidential polls. The Minister said that the jeep had been manufactured in 2006 whereas the cars were built in 2008 and 2012.

Alleging that former Presidet Mahinda Rajapaksa had taken the best ‘security vehicles’ when he left the President’s House after his defeat in January 2015, Minister Ratnayake said that of the remaining vehicles those in a better condition were given to President Maithripala Sirisena and next category to Premier Wickremesinghe and former President Chandrika Bandaranaike Kumaratunga. (SF)