Peace for the World

Peace for the World
First democratic leader of Justice the Godfather of the Sri Lankan Tamil Struggle: Honourable Samuel James Veluppillai Chelvanayakam

Friday, November 27, 2015

Outspoken Miss World Canada denied entry to China

Staged productions at Dalhousie University
Canada's Miss World contestant Anastasia Lin poses for photographers after she was denied entry to mainland China, at Hong Kong International Airport in Hong Kong, Thursday, Nov. 26, 2015. Pic: AP
by  - 
CANADA’S Miss World contender Anastasia Lin has said she was barred from entering this year’s pageant in China for her human rights campaigning.
Associated Press:
“… Anastasia Lin was prevented Thursday from boarding her connecting flight from Hong Kong. Authorities gave no reason.”
Since winning Miss World Canada in May, the Chinese-born Lin has been outspoken in her opposition to China’s human rights and treatment of the Falung Gong spiritual group that China regards as a sect.
Lin first reported earlier in November that she had not received an invitation from the Chinese government that would enable her to apply for a visa. Other contestants received their letters in late October.
The Miss World tournament is due to happen in Sanya in the southern island province of Hainan on 19 December but Miss World’s policy is that she would have to make the opening ceremony on 23 November to enter.
Associated Press:
Li is an outspoken critic of Chinese religious policy and a follower of the Falun Gong meditation sect, which was outlawed by China’s ruling Communist Party as an “evil cult” in 1999.
She was not immediately available for comment. In a pre-departure statement she said denying her entry would mean China was trying to prevent her from speaking out about human rights issues.
BBC:
Lin says that she has spoken to former Chinese Miss World contestants who agree with her stance on China’s human rights policies, but didn’t want to speak out for fear of risking their own ability to get a visa.
“I’m not speaking without fear, as I’ve seen the repercussions,” Lin says.
After she won the competition earlier this year, Lin’s father was contacted by Chinese security forces. They threatened that there would be consequences if Lin continued to speak out. As her father still lives in China, Lin is concerned.
“Dad’s really scared. He doesn’t really dare to talk to me as he worries his phone is tapped. He doesn’t speak his mind anymore.”