At least 14 killed after bus explodes in Tunisian capital
Explosion reportedly occurred on Tunis' busy Mohammed V Avenue, killing at least 14 people
Mohammed V Avenue is a busy thoroughfare at the heart of the Tunisian capital (Wikicommons)
Explosion reportedly occurred on Tunis' busy Mohammed V Avenue, killing at least 14 people
Mohammed V Avenue is a busy thoroughfare at the heart of the Tunisian capital (Wikicommons)
At least 14 people were killed and 11 people wounded after an explosion hit a bus carrying Tunisia’s presidential security guard in Tunis late on Tuesday, the country’s interior ministry said.
The attack occurred on the busy Mohammed V Avenue, a key thoroughfare in the capital, reportedly as the bus passed the headquarters of the RCD, the political party of former president Zine El Abidine Ben Ali, Tunisia Live reported.
There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the attack which comes a day after the interior ministry said Tunisia’s ex-president Moncef Marzouki had been the target of an assassination plot.
Marzouki's security had been under the jurisdiction of the a special presidential unit, but over the past two or three weeks had been taken over by the interior ministry, according to his former campaign manager, Adnene Mancer.
"When Dr Marzouki's protection was reduced, the terrorists probably thought that they could act," Mancer said on Monday. "If the threats had been carried out, it would have triggered chaos in the country," he said.
Two attacks earlier this year claimed by the Islamic State group targeted foreigners - at the National Bardo Museum in March, killing 21 tourists and a policeman, and at a resort hotel in Sousse in June, killing 38 tourists.
Dozens of members of the security forces have also been killed by mlitants since 2011.
