Peace for the World

Peace for the World
First democratic leader of Justice the Godfather of the Sri Lankan Tamil Struggle: Honourable Samuel James Veluppillai Chelvanayakam

Monday, August 10, 2015

Seoul blames North Korea for mine blast that maimed 2 soldiers

South Korean Army Brig. Gen. and Head of Joint Investigation Ahn Young-ho shows pictures of North Korean "wooden box" land mines during a press conference at the Defense Ministry in Seoul, South Korea, Monday. Pic: AP.South Korean Army Brig. Gen. and Head of Joint Investigation Ahn Young-ho shows pictures of North Korean “wooden box” land mines during a press conference at the Defense Ministry in Seoul, South Korea, Monday. Pic: AP.
By  Aug 10, 2015
SEOUL, South Korea (AP) — South Korea says North Korean soldiers placed the two mines that exploded last week at the border and maimed two South Korean soldiers.
Seoul says Pyongyang will face “searing” consequences for laying the mines that exploded last Tuesday in the Seoul-controlled southern part of the heavily-fortified Demilitarized Zone. Such a move would violate the armistice that ended fighting in the 1950-53 Korean War, which still technically continues.
The two wounded soldiers had been on a routine patrol. One soldier lost both legs, while the other lost one leg.
Seoul’s Defense Ministry said Monday that it believes North Korean soldiers secretly crossed the border and laid the mines because the splinters from the explosions were from wood box mines, which are used by North Korea.
Pyongyang hasn’t responded.