PSD chief directed ‘mud story’ – ex-addl. Sec.

Thursday, 11 June 2015
It has now transpired that senior DIG S.M. Wickramasinghe, head of the presidential security division then and now, is the director of the ‘mud story’ that had been planned and telecast under the supervision of Sudharman Radaliyagoda with the aim of tarnishing the image of president Maithripala Sirisena during the last presidential election.
This became known in a confession made to his friends by additional secretary to the former president, lawyer Sepala Ratnayake, who is now in Great Britain.
During the final stages of the Rajapaksa regime, Sepala was sent to the Sri Lankan high commission in London as the minister counsellor, but he remains there even after his contract expired in March. There is an international warrant for his arrest. The accusation against him is that he had made all the arrangements to produce this ‘mud story.’ Over this issue, former deputy general manager of ITN Sudharman Radaliyagoda, Samitha Nandasiri who had led the propaganda campaign of the ex-president, and several others are out on bail. The CID wants Sepala for questioning over this issue.
However, he says a totally different story. When senior DIG Wickramasinghe came to London in March to make arrangements for the president’s visit there a week later, he had personally met Sepala. Wickramasinghe made sure the meeting did not take place at the high commission.
At this meeting, Wickramasinghe had specifically told Sepala not to participate in any of the functions in Britain to be attended by president Maithripala Sirisena. He also said, “You have been recalled to Lanka. You know what will happen if you return to Lanka? Therefore, you need not come to Lanka. Stay here. If things become worse apply for (political) asylum.”
Wickamasinghe so tried to keep him in Britain in order to cover up the truth behind the ‘mud story.’ Mahinda Rajapaksa had personally entrusted this task to Sepala and Wickramsinghe. Wickramasinghe has instructed Sepala not to return to Lanka, as he fears that if he comes back home, a statement recorded from him will lead to the exposure of his involvement too.
Sepala can stay in Britain until the end of this year, but the high commission has informed the British Home Office that he is no longer in its employment.
Even after the exposure of the ‘mud story’, Wickramasinghe remains trouble-free after betraying Sudarman, Samitha and Sepala for his existence. In that, he is supported by IGP N.K. Illangakoon. Wickramasinghe hopes to succeed him once Illangakoon retires. He will gain that position by betraying anyone. That prey will likely be even the incumbent president.

