| Mullaitivu family intimidated after British High Commissioner visit |
02 September 2014
Rankin travelled to the Puthukkudiyiruppu region of Mullaitivu on Tuesday, to speak directly to Tamil families about the problems they faced.
Following his visit intelligence officers arrived at the house and "threatened" the family, the Jaffna based newspaper, Uthayan,
பிரித்தானிய உயர்ஸ்தானிகரை சந்தித்த மக்களை மிரட்டிய புலனாய்வு துறையினர்; முல்லையில் சம்பவம் ![]()
பிரித்தானிய உயர்ஸ்தானிகர் ஜோன் ரங்கீன் அவர்களும் பிரதிநிதிகளும் இன்று முல்லைத்தீவு புதுக்குடியிருப்பு பகுதியில் உள்ள குடும்பங்களுடைய இல்லங்களுக்குச் சென்று பார்வையிட்டதோடு மக்கள் எதிர்நோக்கும் பிரச்சினைகள் தொடர்பில் அவர்களிடம் கேட்டு அறிந்து கொண்டனர்.
அதனைடுத்து பிரித்தானிய உயர் ஸ்தானிகர் குழு பார்வையிட்ட இல்லங்களில் ஒன்றுக்குச் சென்றுள்ள இராணுவ புலனாய்வுத் துறையினர் அக் குடும்பத்தினரை மிரட்டியுள்ளதாக அறிய முடிகிறது. இதுபற்றி வடமாகாணசபை உறுப்பினர் துரைராசா ரவிகரன் தெரிவிக்கையில், வலிகாமம் வடக்கு பிரதேச சபை உபதலைவர் திரு.சஜீவன் அவர்கள் இந்த ஏற்பாட்டுக்கு உதவியாக இருந்தார் .புதுக்குடியிருப்பைச் சேர்ந்த 3 குடும்பங்களைப் பார்வையிடுவதால், இதனை வடமாகாணசபை உறுப்பினர் மேரிகமலா குணசீலன் அவர்களுக்கும் தெரியப்படுத்தி இச்சந்திப்பை ஒழுங்கு செய்திருந்தேன். மக்களின் 3 வீடுகளுக்கும் சென்ற பிரித்தானிய உயர் ஸ்தானிகர் உள்ளிட்ட பிரதிநிதிகள் ஒவ்வொரு வீடுகளிலும் மக்களின் கருத்துக்களை பொறுமையாக கேட்டறிந்தனர். தற்போதைய வரட்சி நிலைகள், உள்ளக வீதிகள் திருத்தாமையால் படும் சிரமங்கள் மீனவர்கள் எதிர்நோக்கும் தொழில் பிரச்சினைகள், விவசாயிகளின் நிலைமைகள் , பெண்கள் எதிர்நோக்கும் பிரச்சினைகள், தடுப்புக்களால் வெளி வந்த இளையோர் முகம்கொடுக்கும் பிரச்சினைகள் உட்பட சகல விடயங்களையும் மக்களிடம் கேட்டு அறிந்ததோடு இது விடயத்தில் கூடிய கவனம் செலுத்துவதாக அம்மக்களுக்கு தெரிவித்தனர் என்றார். இதேவேளை, வலி வடக்கு பிரதேச சபை உபதலைவர் சஜீவன் அவர்கள் பிரதிநிதிகளிடம் மகஜர் ஒன்றைக் கையளித்திருந்தார் என்பது குறிப்பிடத்தது.
reports.
The family was one of three households visited by the High Commissioner during his trip.
The High Commissioner was told about a multitude of grievances faced by Tamils in the North-East, including poverty and obstacles to trade and livelihoods as well as the problems faced by Tamil women and young people, said the Northern Provincial Councillor Thurairasa Ravikaran.
On Monday, Mr Rankin visited a demining site
British High Commissioner visits Halo Trust demining site in Muhamalai
Commenting on the visit to the site, the British High Commissioner said:
“The UK is a long-time supporter of demining in Sri Lanka. We have provided 3.5 million pounds from 2010-2014. The latest funding programme – which was announced by our Prime Minister David Cameron during CHOGM last year – is worth 1.6 million pounds (3.5 billion rupees). It began in July this year and will continue for 18 months.
Funding for The HALO Trust supports the clearing of mines and explosive ordinance focusing on heavily-contaminated parts of the north, particularly in the Jaffna, Kilinochchi and Mullaitivu districts, as well as related mine risk education activities and capacity building with the Sri Lankan government.
Demining is a vital post-conflict activity and I was pleased to see first-hand the UK’s contribution to restoring safety to communities and allowing land to be put back to productive use.”)
in Muhamalai, where work is being carried out by UK based agency The Halo Trust.
|




