Govt To Assess Situation
The government says it will assess the situation in relation to anyone giving evidence before the UN led investigation on Sri Lanka and will decide on the next step accordingly.
Government Media Spokesperson Minister Keheliya Rambukwella told The Sunday Leader that the government will assess the situation before deciding on any course of action.
“We cannot work on speculations. We will decide then and there what procedures need to be followed against those who are found giving evidence,” the Minister added.
When asked if the government is considering a process to block people from giving evidence, Minister Rambukwella said that it depends on the situation and they would establish a process if required.
Some Tamil political parties have begun gathering testimonials to be submitted to the investigations on Sri Lanka by the UN human rights office.Former Army Commander and leader of the Democratic Party, Sarath Fonseka, had said last week that he is not scared to testify before the UN led war crimes investigation.Speaking to the BBC Sinhala service outside court, Fonseka had said that when he led the war, he followed the law and so there was nothing to be afraid of.
