Peace for the World

Peace for the World
First democratic leader of Justice the Godfather of the Sri Lankan Tamil Struggle: Honourable Samuel James Veluppillai Chelvanayakam

Monday, June 30, 2014

Transcript of Deputy Assistant Secretary Atul Keshap's interview with Dharisha Bastians

U.S. Embassy ColomboJune 20, 2014
Journalist:  Let’s go over why you are here and what issues you are raising.
DAS Keshap:  Sure. As part of my job I’m responsible for U.S. foreign relations with South Asia, including Sri Lanka, so I was here in January with Assistant Secretary Nisha Biswal.  And, it’s been a few months, so we felt it would be a useful moment to come back and talk to government officials, civil society activists, people who are in the know about where things are going right now.  We talked to some religious leaders as well.  And just get a sense of the situation in Sri Lanka and what impact that has on U.S. foreign policy and on decisions we make going forward.
I had a very good set of meetings; I met with Foreign Minister G.L. Peiris.  I met with Defense Secretary Gotabhaya Rajapaksa.  I met TNA leader Sampanthan.  I met with Basil Rajapaksa, Lalith Weeratunga, Sajin Vaas and I’m trying to think who else.  Who am I forgetting?