Peace for the World

Peace for the World
First democratic leader of Justice the Godfather of the Sri Lankan Tamil Struggle: Honourable Samuel James Veluppillai Chelvanayakam

Monday, December 23, 2013

Sand bags left over from Colombo Night Races poses threat to motorists

sand bagMotorists in Colombo are faced with a problem when travelling on the streets in the Fort area due to the unclear sand bags, which are leftovers from the Colombo Night Races held last week.
The sand bags used as safety barricades at the Colombo Night Races are still on the roads for many days on the streets, with some having toppled over, causing risks to motorists.
Drivers have reportedly said that peak-hour and night travel in Pettah had been difficult due to the barricade sacks lying on the roads.
All-Island Three Wheeler Drivers’ Union (AITDU) President Lalith Dharmasekera has told the media that the fallen sandbags and tyres could topple a three-wheeler and harm passengers inside.
He has observed that the roads should have been cleared right after the conclusion of the races.
Lanka Private Bus Owners Association (LPBOA) President W. M. G. R Wijeratne has said concessions should be given to buses for being forced to take longer routes to Pettah during race week due to the traffic diversions.
“The authorities need to take initiatives that would be beneficial not only to the event organisers but the public and public services as well,” Wijeratne has said.
Chief Minister Prasanna Ranatunga has admitted the event had disrupted public routines for three days but asked people to view the effort as an investment made to the city to develop its infrastructure and tourism.
The race had also failed to bring in a revenue to the Colombo Municipal Council (CMC) due to Western Province Chief Minister’s decision to waive the entertainment tax due to the council. The loss incurred by the CMC has been estimated at Rs. 3 million.