Government gearing for UNHRC summit in March
- Thursday, 21 November 2013

The Mahinda Rajapaksa government, despite its brave act saying it was ready to face any challenge, is now gearing to face the UN Human Rights Council (UNHRC) sessions in Geneva next March when the resolution adopted on Sri Lanka last year is taken up for review. The government inn usual form has decided to take some ad hoc steps to show to the international community that action is being taken to address alleged human rights violations in the country.
The government has announced that the Human Rights Commission of Sri Lanka will conduct the first national inquiry into alleged human rights violations with the assistance from local and foreign experts.
Human Rights Commissioner Dr. Prathiba Mahanamahewa has told the media that the first national inquiry into the alleged human rights violations related to torture between the period of 2009 and 2013 would be conducted with local and foreign legal experts.
He has said the inquiry would be carried out during a period of 18 months.
He has said the inquiry would be carried out during a period of 18 months.
Dr. Mahanamahewa noted that the Commonwealth Secretariat believed that Sri Lanka should focus on a national inquiry without leaving space for an international inquiry over alleged human rights violations.
According to the Commissioner, the national inquiry would be independent since it will be carried out with the participation of local and foreign legal experts.