Peace for the World

Peace for the World
First democratic leader of Justice the Godfather of the Sri Lankan Tamil Struggle: Honourable Samuel James Veluppillai Chelvanayakam

Monday, November 11, 2013

Colombo spends funds from military budget for wedging North from East

[TamilNet, Monday, 11 November 2013, 01:24 GMT]

TamilNetAiming to increase the number of Sinhala settlers in the newly created division of Ma’nalaa’ru in Mulliath-theevu, which has been Sinhalicised into ‘Weli-oya’, the occupying Sri Lanka Army (SLA) has made hurried arrangements for bringing in 2,000 new Sinhala families, informed sources in Mullaith-theevu told TamilNet. Colombo government has allocated funds for the Sinhalicisation scheme under the Sri Lankan ‘defence expenditure’, the sources further said adding that large tracts of forest reserves have also been cleared for the colonization scheme. 

2,000 Sinhala families are being brought from Bandarawela, Moneragala, Anuradhapura and Polonnaruwa districts and are being provided huts with the promise of a permanent housing scheme to be constructed through the funds allocated to the SL military. 

Each family is assigned a Sinhala Army soldier as contact person during the colonization process. 

One year ago, the number of Sinhalese in Weli-oya division stood at 11,1789 persons in 19 Sinhalicised villages, which were divided into 9 GS divisions.

The ‘All-Sinhala’ Weli-oya division has now wedged the Tamil contiguity of the Northern Province and the Eastern Province, while it established contiguity with the Sinhala district Anuradhapura in the North Central Province. 

Earlier, the Mullaith-theevu district didn’t have a common boundary with Anuradhapura. Providing common boundary for Sinhala-colonised Weli-oya of Mullaith-theevu with the Sinhala North Central province became possible only by wedging the contiguity of the Tamil districts of Vavuniyaa and Trincomalee.

Colombo is also planning to carve out a new electoral division combining Mullaiththeevu’s Weli-oya with the villages of Trincomalee and Anuradhapura, the sources further said.

Patients in danger. No radioactive iodine at the Maharagama hospital


cancer risk'It is revealed that the non availability of radioactive iodine at the Maharagama Cancer Institute has endangered the lives of around 1,200 patients who has undergone thyroid cancer surgery.   ' said by ‘Samagi Balawegaya’ today.

Samagi Balawegaya condemns the conduct of the government in its’ failure to take action to save the lives of such a large number of patients.   and  emphasizes 'this incident shows the utter callousness and disregard to the lives of the people, specially those who are sick and those who are unable to lead a normal life due to the high cost of living.  This brings to light the complete breakdown of the free health services of our country'
See full details below
Government Medical Officers’ Association (GMOA) has confirmed that the Medical Supplies Division has failed to supply the necessary drugs and that the lives of patients are in danger.  President of the GMOA Dr. Padeniya has confirmed that around 1200 patients had been unable to obtain the radioactive iodine treatment even 7 months after the operation.

We condemn the conduct of the government in its’ failure to take action to save the lives of such a large number of patients.  This incident shows the utter callousness and disregard to the lives of the people, specially those who are sick and those who are unable to lead a normal life due to the high cost of living.  This brings to light the complete breakdown of the free health services of our country.

It is a pathetic situation to see the utter wastage of resources on celebrations, receptions, billboards, posters, etc., while those in need are dying due to the lack of basic necessities such as medicine and food.

We call upon the government to stop the criminal wastage of the country’s resources and to take immediate steps at least to save the sick from dying.