Peace for the World

Peace for the World
First democratic leader of Justice the Godfather of the Sri Lankan Tamil Struggle: Honourable Samuel James Veluppillai Chelvanayakam

Saturday, July 6, 2013

Sri Lankan Govt Invites Tamil Nadu Fishermen for Talks

 Sri Lankan Govt Invites Tamil Nadu Fishermen for Talks
 JUL 05, 2013
The Sri Lankan government today reached out to fishermen community of Tamil Nadu as President Mahinda Rajapaksa's brother and Economic Development Minister Basil Rajapaksa met their delegation here with a promise of addressing their concerns.

Basil invited the fishermen to Sri Lanka to meet President Rajapaksa, ministers and representatives of Navy and coast guards to discuss their problems which include killings, arrests and harassment of Indian fishermen in the Palk Strait by Sri Lankan navy.

"It has been decided to have an open dialogue between both countries' fishermen with the consent of governments of India and Sri Lanka," a source familiar with the development told PTI here.

Through people-to-people contact, the problems can be solved, Basil Rajapaksa told the Tamil Nadu fishermen's delegation.

Devadass and Sesudass, representing the Association, appealed to Rajapaksa to give instructions to the Navy not to disturb or arrest them while fishing in the traditional areas.

They also requested him to release all the fishermen from Tamil Nadu, arrested by the Lankan navy, Association sources said.

The fishermen's Association functionaries met the minister in the wake of incidents of Tamil fishermen being threatened and arrested by the Lankan navy. The fishermen also charged the Navay men for causing damages to their fishing nets and boats.

Meanwhile, all the 49 fishermen from the state, arrested by the Sri Lankan Navy on June 5 while fishing near the Palk Straits and released by the island nation's court a couple of days ago, were handed over to Indian Coast Guard officials at the International Martime Boundary Line today.

Eight fishermen, who were arrested on June 15, are still in Sri Lankan prison, the sources said.

Red Cross worker's murder: DNA evidence delays trial

SATURDAY, 06 JULY 2013 
Problems with DNA evidence have delayed the prosecution of suspects over the murder of a Red Cross worker in Sri Lanka in 2011, British officials said.

Khuram Shaikh, 32, from Milnrow, Rochdale, Greater Manchester, was shot and stabbed on Christmas Day 2011.

Eight people, including a Sri Lankan politician, were arrested and bailed in November. They all denied the charges.

The British High Commission in Colombo said the 18-month delay was "not a good message to tourists".

The Sri Lanka High Commission said the "Government Analyst's report relating to DNA evidence is awaited and all arrangements have been made to commence proceedings upon receipt of the same".

Robbie Bulloch, Deputy High Commissioner to Sri Lanka, said: "What we have been told is that they have been waiting for DNA evidence and that has been holding it up.

"Why that should take 18 months to process I don't know, but what we have done from the very beginning is urge the government to take this very seriously.
"It's a brutal attack, it's not a good message for a country which attracts very many British tourists each year."

Mr Shaikh, who graduated from Salford University, had been working in Gaza for the Red Cross, fitting prosthetics limbs.

He was shot and stabbed when he and his Russian girlfriend, Victoria Aleksandrovna Tkacheva, were attacked on holiday in the resort of Tangalle.

In a statement, the Sri Lanka High Commission said the government of Sri Lanka "is committed to prosecute the persons responsible", with a "special prosecutor nominated by the Attorney-General to conduct the prosecution".

It confirmed the case had been transferred from Tangalle to Colombo Magistrates Court "to prevent the alleged intimidation of witnesses".

"These incidents, though extremely sad and unfortunate, have happened in many other tourist destinations in the past and can happen anywhere in the world," it said.

"This will by no means overshadow the warmth that is offered to tourists by our hospitable nation and its people".

Mr Shaikh had been trying to break up a fight in the hotel bar.

His brother, Nasir, said: "There's still witness accounts outstanding, DNA evidence outstanding, 18 months on this should have been completed. We need a trial date set".

The Sri Lankan government has said it strongly condemned the killing, but Rochdale MP Simon Danczuk said he was "extremely disappointed" with their response.

He said: "They need to follow the rule of law and rise to the standards expected of Commonwealth countries. We need to pressurise the Sri Lankan government to ensure justice is done."