Peace for the World

Peace for the World
First democratic leader of Justice the Godfather of the Sri Lankan Tamil Struggle: Honourable Samuel James Veluppillai Chelvanayakam

Friday, July 5, 2013

External Affairs Ministry questions BHC

External Affairs Ministry questions BHC

british high commissionThe External Affairs Ministry is to reportedly seek a clarification from the British High Commission in Colombo about a travel advisory issued by the UK in May on Sri Lanka.
 An External Affairs Ministry official has been quoted as saying that it is aware of the travel advisory and would seek information from the British High Commission on the reasons behind issuing such a strong notice to British citizens visiting Sri Lanka.
The British Foreign Office has warned visitors to Sri Lanka to be mindful of organised and armed gangs known to operate in Sri Lanka who have been responsible for targeted kidnappings and violence.
The Foreign office, in a May 30th update, has stated that while violent crimes against foreigners are infrequent, there have been an increasing number of reports of sexual offences including on minors.
It also says women should take particular care when travelling alone or in small groups, and carry a personal alarm.
“Organised and armed gangs are known to operate in Sri Lanka and have been responsible for targeted kidnappings and violence. While there is no evidence to suggest that British nationals are at particular risk, gangs have been known to operate in tourist areas. A British national was killed during a violent attack by a gang in a tourist resort in December 2011,” the travel advisory has said.
The US Ambassador to Sri Lanka was earlier in the week summoned by the External Affairs Ministry to seek a clarification on a travel advisory issued by the US State Department also in May.

Philippines to allow US, Japan strategic access to military bases

TamilNet[TamilNet, Thursday, 04 July 2013, 23:28 GMT]
Philippines president Beningno Aquino, in a statement on Tuesday, said that his government would allow America and Japan, long time “strategic partners” of successive regimes, exclusive access to former US military bases in the country. This development has provoked reactions from the Chinese, who are currently locked in a maritime dispute with Philippines. AFP reported Chinese general Luo Yuan on Thursday as condemning the increased US-Philippines cooperation. 

Philippines is considered by the US as a key strategic base in the Southeast Asian region. 

The US has also provided extensive help to Manila in its counterinsurgency operations against the New People’s Army, a Communist rebel movement. 

Analysts credit the increased strategic focus of the US in this region as a part of a grant strategy of ‘Look East’ policy in the Pentagon.