Final Report: Removal Of CJ Bandaranayake Was Unlawful – International Bar Association
By Colombo Telegraph -April 12, 2013
Following the release of the Executive Summary of the International Bar Association report A Crisis of Legitimacy: The Impeachment of Chief Justice Bandaranayake and the Erosion of the Rule of Law in Sri Lanka, the full report has been published today.
The removal from office in Sri Lanka of Chief Justice Bandaranayake was unlawful, is undermining public confidence in the rule of law, and threatening to eviscerate the country’s judiciary as an independent guarantor of constitutional rights states the Executive Summary of an International Bar Association’s Human Rights Institute (IBAHRI) report released two weeks ago.
Sternford Moyo, IBAHRI Co-Chair commented, ‘We call upon the Government of Sri Lanka to take immediate steps to reverse the impeachment and replacement of Chief Justice Bandaranayake and to work to rebuild the independence of the judiciary and the legal profession in the country, as a matter of absolute urgency.’
Read the full report here
FRIDAY, 12 APRIL 2013 In his letter, Mr. Amarasinghe said uniformed military personnel had moved around the grave around 9.30 pm on Wednesday. He said the discovery of the grave that dated back to the period between 1987 and 1989 had become a serious issue subjected to judicial process.
“We believe the judicial process should continue without any complication,” he said.
According to initial investigations, the skeletal remains of 154 persons were found in the grave. The JVP believes that their members who went missing during that the insurrection led by them had been buried here. Also, it was confirmed that these persons were tortured and executed.
Archaeologist Raj Somadeva also found through his investigations that the grave dated back to the 1986/1989 period. Besides, the judicial medical officer also made the same conclusion. It was informed to court by Magistrate Chaturika de Silva.( Kelum Bandara)
JVP concerned over military presence |
