Red Flag About War Crimes Inquiry From Archbishop Of Colombo
December 12, 2013
The Archbishop of Colombo Cardinal Malcolm Ranjith yesterday warned the Government that foreign intervention would be inevitable unless serious allegations of rights abuses and the work of reconciliation is addressed within the country.
“Foreigners should not tell us what to do. We are not a pack of fools. But if we do not resolve these issues, then we open ourselves to foreign intervention,” the Cardinal said.
In his pastoral letter, the Cardinal warned that an international inquiry into war crimes could pose a serious threat to the country’s sovereignty.
In its 24-page letter, the church also asked the government to ensure accountability for politically-motivated killings going back four decades.
Sri Lanka’s War Crimes
91 Duty Free Car Journos And 496 Laptop Journos – Keheliya
December 12, 2013
Media Minister Keheliya Rambukwella sought to boost his Government’s media credentials in Parliament yesterday, claiming that there had been no attacks or abductions of media personnel since 2010 and revealing that the regime had awarded duty free vehicles and laptops to hundreds of media personnel in the country.
Minister Rambukwella said 91 journalists had been provided duty free vehicles while 496 journalists had received laptops from the Government.
He added that 30 Parliament reporters would also be entitled to receive the benefits.
Several state media and independent journalists received laptops from President Mahinda Rajapaksa about one year ago at a special ceremony. The Government has also offered loans of Rs. 1.2 million interest free to scribes completing 25 years in the field.
