Death toll from Vietnam storm tops 60 and dams near bursting
Mai Nguyen-NOVEMBER 5, 2017DANANG, Vietnam (Reuters) - The death toll from a typhoon and ensuing floods in Vietnam reached 61 on Monday and the government said some reservoirs were dangerously near capacity after persistent rain.
Typhoon Damrey tore across central Vietnam at the weekend just days before the region is due to host the APEC summit of Asia-Pacific leaders, among them U.S. President Donald Trump, China’s Xi Jinping and Russia’s Vladimir Putin.
The Communist state’s Search and Rescue Committee said 61 people had been killed and 28 were recorded as missing. It said some of the victims were in vessels that capsized at sea. Others were killed in landslides. It did not give a full breakdown.
Prime Minister Nguyen Xuan Phuc chaired an emergency meeting on the disaster. Ministers said that because some dams were so full, water might need to be released to relieve pressure - potentially worsening flooding downstream.
People ride motorcycles along flooded road after typhoon Damrey hits Vietnam in Hue city, Vietnam November 5, 2017. REUTERS/Kham
Leaders are due to meet from Nov. 10 and organisers said the schedule had not been disrupted because of the weather.
Hoang Tran Son, 37, who left his home there when the water reached his chest, said it was the worst flooding he had seen for decades.
“We’re pretty much all right in the city, but people in remote areas are devastated,” he said.
The storm moved from the coastal area into a key coffee-growing region of the world’s biggest producer of robusta coffee beans. The typhoon had damaged some coffee trees at the start of the harvest season, farm officials said. But farmers in Daklak, the heart of the region, said the damage was limited.
Authorities said that more than 7,000 farm animals had been killed.
