by Dasun Edirisinghe-December 26, 2015, 9:56 am
General Secretary of the Ceylon Teachers Service Union (CTSU) Mahinda Jayasinghe said that according to a Supreme Court order handed down in 2011, the number of students in a Grade One class should be limited to 35 students.
At present, around 45 students were admitted to a class, he said.
Jayasinghe said under the 1,000 secondary schools development programme of then Education Minister Bandula Gunawardena primary sections in national schools were also closed down gradually.
"According to our calculations, every school has to reduce the number of Grade One admissions by 40, he said adding that parents, especially in rural areas, had to face a very difficult situation as a result.
Jayasinghe accused the previous government and present government of failing to prepare for the situation though they were aware of the 2011 court ruling. They had four years to prepare, he added.
The JVP Western Provincial Council member said there were several substandard private schools in every town at present. Parents had to admit their children to them and pay very high fees for want of a better alternative.
Jayasinghe said the present Education Minister Akila Viraj Kariyawasam had promised to increase the number of students from 35 to 40 few months back, but the relevant circulars had not been issued so far.
"We asked education authorities to have at least one additional Grade One class as a solution to the problem and reopen the primary sections," Jayasinghe said, nothing that they made a written request to the Secretary of the Education Ministry on Dec. 23, 2015.
Education Minister Akila Viraj Kariyawasam was not available for comment.