X-files and excuses
Editorial-December 21, 2015, 7:27 pm
Many thought the Jan. 08 regime change would pave the way for thorough probes into attacks on journalists and media institutions during the past few decades. But, regrettably, investigations into those dastardly incidents are being conducted very selectively.
Media person, Pradeep Ekneligoda, disappeared and national rugby player, Wasim Thajudeen, died under mysterious circumstances which must, no doubt, be investigated. But, the government must not lose sight of other such incidents.
The abduction of The Nation Associate Editor Keith Noyahr in May 2008 has not yet been probed properly. Keith should be able to reveal vital information about his abductors who held, questioned and beat him for hours before releasing him. The government which was blamed for his abduction is now out of power and he is resident overseas.
Keith, as a responsible journalist who took up the cudgels for media freedom, is sure to cooperate with investigators. There is reason to believe his abductors were involved in attacks on other journalists as well. Therefore, his help needs to be sought to identify those elements.
It is mind-boggling why the police are still groping in the dark. Two months after Keith’s abduction, the then Chief Opposition Whip and UNP MP, Joseph Michael Perera, speaking in Parliament in July 2008 held the then Army Commander, Lt. Gen. Sarath Fonseka, responsible for attacks on journalists. BBC reported on July 28, 2008:
Sri Lanka's main opposition party has accused the country's most senior army officer of being behind violent attacks on reporters.
Opposition MP Joseph Michael Perera told parliament that the attacks were carried out by a 'special team' controlled by Lt. Gen. Sarath Fonseka.
Mr. Perera said the government should arrest the offenders and 'immediately bring them to justice'.
The army has denied that it is any way involved in attacks on journalists.
"We are told by those in the army itself that journalists are abducted and subjected to grievous injury by none other than a special unit under the army commander," Mr. Perera, a former parliamentary speaker, said.
The Sunday Leader editor Lasantha Wickrematunga was killed a few months later in Jan. 2009. The UNP which asked the Rajapaksa government to make arrests at that time is in power today. It is duty bound to get cracking and ensure that former Chief Opposition Whip Perera provides the police with all necessary information about the ‘special team’ he mentioned in Parliament. What prevents the government from doing so? Let no lame excuses be trotted out.
Perhaps, the yahapalana grandees do not want to open up a can of worms because those they accused of killing journalists at that time are today in the good governance camp!
Unfounded fears
Convener of the Mawbima Wenuwen Ranawiruwo (MWR) organisation, Major Ajith Prasanna, has told the media that a plot is being hatched to arrest former President Mahinda Rajapaksa and former Defence Secretary Gotabaya Rajapaksa over the disappearance of Prageeth Ekneligoda.
But, it is doubtful whether the present government will ever do anything of that nature on the basis of mere allegations. It is compassionate towards even terror suspects. Detained hardcore Tigers are being released on the grounds that there is no irrefutable evidence against them.
Before the presidential and parliamentary elections this year, the leaders of the present administration made solemn pledges to arrest the self-appointed leader of the LTTE, Kumaran Padmanathan alias KP, for his active involvement in terrorist activities in the past. They also said Karuna Amman had been responsible for many crimes in the Eastern Province such as the massacre of Buddhist monks at Arantalawa and the mass execution of 600 policemen. But, they have chosen not to take any action against the two former Tigers.
The champions of good governance, currently ensconced in power, condemned the ministers of the Rajapaksa government as a bunch of rogues responsible for mega corrupt deals, killings, abuse of power etc. The new government would deal with them severely, we were told. But, today, those ‘rogues’ have been forgiven and made ministers of the ‘yahapalana’ government!
Thus, we don’t think the present government will ever abuse its power to throw its political opponents behind bars on the basis of mere allegations even though former President Rajapaksa is threatening to stage street protests.
Moreover, no less a person than UNSG Ban Ki-moon has spoken very highly of the present government; he considers the Jan. 08 regime change one of the most significant world events during this year! President Maithripala Sirisena has said he had the rare honour of viewing Queen Elizabeth’s private jewellery collection as a special guest besides being given a gloveless handshake. Pope Francis has also showered praise on him, we are told. Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe has always been in the good books of the international community.
So, the ‘yahapalana’ government led by President Sirisena and PM Wickremesinghe will not run the risk of blotting its copybook by arresting its opponents in the same manner as the Rajapaksa government.

