Dispute over MR’s security: HRC refuses to intervene
Human Rights Commission of Sri Lanka (HRCSL) wouldn’t inquire into a complaint lodged by the JVP as regards special security and other privileges enjoyed by Kurunegala District UPFA candidate Mahinda Rajapaksa in his capacity as former President, an authoritative official told The Island yesterday.
Former President is contesting the August 17 parliamentary polls.
Attorney-at-law and Colombo District JVP candidate Sunil Watagala recently alleged that provision of such facilities was unfair by candidates from other political parties in the fray in the Kurunegala electoral district.
Watagala requested the HRCSL to suspend such facilities immediately.
Responding to a query, the HRCSL official said that the breakaway JVP faction, the National Freedom Front (NFF) affiliated to the SLFP-led UPFA, too, had requested an opportunity to intervene as regards the JVP’s complaint. However, HRCSL was of the view that it couldn’t step in primarily because the NSSP had moved the Supreme Court calling for immediate curtailment of facilities offered to the former President.
The former leader’s security contingent consists of elite army commandos and police.
The HRCSL would wait for the outcome of the Supreme Court case, the official said.
Meanwhile, NFF spokesman Mohammed Muzammil yesterday told The Island that as former Presidents had been provided with special security through an Act of parliament the war winning President couldn’t be deprived of what was rightfully his. Security of the former President shouldn’t be jeopardised, the UPFA National List nominee said.
Elections Commissioner Mahinda Deshapriya, too, recently asserted that the former President couldn’t be deprived of existing security contingent on the basis of him being a candidate at the forthcoming parliamentary polls.