EC seeks pvt. media help to ensure fair play
Election Commissioner Mahinda Deshapriya is urgently seeking a consensus with privately-owned print and electronic media organisations to ensure impartial coverage at the next parliamentary election. Both President Maithripala Sirisena and Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe are on record as having said that a new government would be in place in September. Speculation is rife in political circles that dissolution of parliament is just weeks away if not days.
Addressing the media at Election Secretariat, Rajagiriya yesterday, polls chief Deshapriya expressed serious concern over the proposed independent Election Commission being deprived of regulatory powers over privately-owned media.
Deshapriya pointed out that the Election Commission had been affected by the abolition of the relevant clause in the 19 Amendment which dealt with private broadcasting and telecasting stations, especially political broadcasts and telecasts. "Although, the 19 Amendment is far more powerful than the 17 Amendment, the Election Secretariat is perturbed over absence of regulatory powers pertaining to privately-owned media."
The Supreme Court ruled that section inconsistent with the Constitution compelling the government to delete it.
The outspoken official said that they were in a dilemma over the 19 Amendment subjecting only the state-run media for certain controls.
Asserting that the lapse could undermine efficiency of the independent Election Commission, Deshapriya said that he felt the necessity to reach an understanding with proprietors of privately-owned media. Deshapriya suggested that privately-owned media decide on some sort of self-censorship ahead of the next national level election.
Deshapriya recalled a section of the privately-owned electronic media causing problems even on the day of some national elections. The polls chief said that he would push for an understanding with the privately-owned media.
Responding to a query, the polls Chief said the proposed National Audit Commission would bring great relief to the independent election commission. While declining to comment further on the other commissions, Deshapriya said that it would be foolish on their part to expect all their aspirations to be fulfilled.
Asked whether he could indicate a possible date for the next parliamentary election, Deshapriya said that the Election Secretariat preferred a Saturday. When pushed for an answer, Deshapriya said that he could only say with certainty the next election would have to be concluded by April next year.
The Polls chief declined to comment on the possibility of him being included in the three-member independent election commission. Appointments to all 11 independent commissions will be made by the ten-member Constitutional Council comprising seven members of parliament and three civil society activists.
Deshapriya said that the proposed independent election commission couldn’t be compared with India’s election commission. Sri Lanka’s mechanism couldn’t even come closer to India’s set up, Desdhapriya said, adding however that they could achieve desired results if all relevant parties fully cooperated with them. "We should be able to work with available systems without being overly disappointed with what was given."
Deshapriya emphasized that in spite of India having the world’s most powerful election body, malpractices still took place there. "That is the reality."