Gota should accept responsibility for Aluthgama incidents – Dr. Nalinda Jayatissa
The Defense Secretary is directly responsible for the communal violence that erupted in Aluthgama and several other areas in Kalutara District says the JVP Member for Western Provincial Council Dr. Nalinda Jayatissa. He said this at the monthly sessions of the PC held today (17th).
He said, “The illegal meeting held by the BBS in Aluthgama town on the 15th aroused communalism which resulted in attacks on Muslims in the area and their properties. It has been established that the BBS has had very close relationships with the Defense Secretary.
There are allegations that the STF and security forces did not mediate to control the situation when those who were incited after the illegal meeting of the BBS launched attacks. This would have been due to the instructions of a powerful person in the government.”
All parties representing the PS made special statements regarding communal violence at today’s sessions.
“We Want You To Settle” SC Tells Parties In ‘Hijab’ Case
June 18, 2014
The Supreme Court today postponed the hearing of a Fundamental Rights Petition filed by a Muslim parent stating that she was prevented from entering the Janadipathi Balika Vidyalaya in her Muslim attire, telling the parties “that we want this settled”.
The bench headed by Justice Chandra Ekanayake and included Justice Eva Wansundera and Justice Sisira de Abrew informed the parties that they want the matter to be settled and to seek instructions from the Provincial authorities regarding the settlement.
A mother filed a Fundamental Rights application in the Supreme Court detailing discrimination she faced at the hands of the Principal of her daughters school.
The Petitioner said that she had attended the school in a cultural attire until the new Principal- Nayana Thakshila was appointed last year.
She said that she and other parents were ordered to wear a saree and not the cultural attire which comprises a headscarf and long gown, when visiting school.
She also detailed that on April 25th when she attended school at an urgent meeting called by the Principal she was violently abused and prevented from entering the school in the said attire on the instructions of the Principal,
The case is to be heard on the 25th of June.
Counsel M.M Zuhair PC with Hafeel Farisz, Charith Samaradivakara appeared for the Petitioner, Manahora De Silva PC appeared for the Respondent Principal and Vice Principal, Thishya Weragoda appeared for the Provincial Education authorities while Deputy Solicitor General Sanjay Rajarathnam appeared for the Attorney General.
Related posts;