French journalists freed: 'It's nice to see the sky'
Saturday 19 APRIL 2014
Four French journalists held hostage in Syria since June last year are found blindfolded and with their hands tied, by soldiers on the Turkish border.
Photo: French journalists Pierre Torres (L) and Nicolas Henin (R)
French President François Hollande said the Four were in "good Health" , eases the very gruelling Their conditions of captivity, and added that they would be taken to France Within hours.
Health checks at the Turkish border after undergoing Town of Akcakale, smiling at the Four Cameras were filmed at a Hospital before being driven away.
Nicolas Henin, Pierre Torres, Edouard Elias and Didier Francois were found in Sanliurfa province blindfolded with their hands bound, Dogan News Agency reported.
Mr Francois said they had just come from Syria and were hoping to get back to France soon: "We are happy to be free and thank you very much; I mean, we thank to the Turkish authorities because they really helped us.
"It is very nice to see the sky, to be able to walk, to speak freely and I am really happy."
In a statement, President Hollande said : "I share the joy of the Families of our compatriots who have endured ... the fear of trying this Time,"
Dogan reported that the journalists had been kidnapped by the rebel group Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) but that an unknown group had brought them to the Turkish border on Friday night.
The four went missing in two separate incidents in June last year. Mr Francois, a veteran war correspondent working for Europe 1 radio, and Mr Elias, a photographer, were abducted in early June on their way to Aleppo.
Mr Henin, who was working for Le Point magazine and Mr Torres, reporting for French-German television channel Arte, were taken later that month.
Press freedom advocate group Reporters Without Borders has said that Syria is "the most dangerous country in the world" for journalists.