Peace for the World

Peace for the World
First democratic leader of Justice the Godfather of the Sri Lankan Tamil Struggle: Honourable Samuel James Veluppillai Chelvanayakam

Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Public to be given choice between blackouts and another power tariff hike 

article_image
By Ifham Nizam0-January 15, 2014, 

The National Movement of Electricity Consumers (NMEC) yesterday predicted that the country would experience blackouts due to the ongoing technical problems,, especially at the first coal-fired power plant at Norochcholai.

NMEC Advisor Bandula Chandrasekera told The Island that with an increase in expensive oil generated thermal power purchases, the Ceylon Electricity Board (CEB) would be compelled to pass the heavy cost on to the customers or go for power cuts.

He said that more than 30 organisations attached to NMEC were waiting to study the CEB proposals to the regulatory body of the energy sector, the Public Utilities Commission of Sri Lanka (PUCSL).

The CEB’s promise last year to bring down the power tariffs this year was unlikely to be honoured and instead it would attempt to heap further burdens on the consumer, Chandrasekera said, vowing to resist such a move as the CEB had failed to adhere to last year’s generation plans despite raking in a massive income thanks to high tariffs and increased generation of cheap hydro power.

Rs. 724 million was spent additionally last year due to Norochcholai failing to produce projected 2,033 GWh; only 1,474 GWh was generated.