'Security personnel assaulted coming to HR festival in Colombo
Security personnel have stopped the bus carrying Tamil nationals travelling from Mannar to Colombo for the Human Rights festival today (13) near the Madu church and assaulted them, UNP MP Mangala Samaraweera says.He was speaking at a media briefing in Colombo today (13).
They have been assaulted after paying no heed to the security personnel's instructions to turn back without attending the event, the UNP MP added.
The bus is being taken back by the Army, he further said.
Meanwhile the NP - 9009 bus from Mullaitivu and the NP - 6277 bus from Kilinochchi, which were carrying groups to the Human Rights festival, have also been stopped by security personnel, reports add
13 November 2013
Sri Lanka Blocks Freedom Of Movement During CHOGM
November 13,
Two days ahead of the Commonwealth Summit where Sri Lanka will assume the chair of an organisation that holds as its core values democracy, human rights and good governance, the military has stopped busloads of families of the disappeared from travelling to Colombo from the Northern Province.
Military personnel stopped the buses and turned the families back to their home districts at Madawachchiya and Madhu. Families from Mannar decided to hold a demonstration near Madhu Church while families from further north staged a demonstration at Vavuniya. However, the military and police have now dispersed those protests and sent the families home.
The Government previously stopped protesters from entering the capital during this year’s UN Human Rights Council session in March, when families of the disappeared attempted to reach Colombo in order to hand over a petition to the UN Headquarters in Colombo.
Sri Lanka is cracking down hard on anti-Government demonstrations and movements, including the Human Rights Festival organised by the Samagi Movement, ahead of CHOGM in the full glare of the world’s media who have descended on the island to cover the summit.
The Government on Monday grounded all private airlines flying to Jaffna until November 18. This morning a Sri Lanka Railways train carrying No Fire Zone Director Callum Macrae and the Channel 4 crew was besieged by demonstrators who stormed the railway track at Anuradhapura. The Train has been unable to proceed beyond that point so far. With bus loads turned back from entering the capital Colombo and media personnel harassed at the Omanthai Check Point – which the Government claimed months ago had been dismantled – Sri Lanka has managed to completely curtail the freedom of movement within its borders in the run up to CHOGM.
At a press briefing yesterday however, Commonwealth Secretary General Kamalesh Sharma said he was confident Sri Lanka would register progress on the human rights front and that the people of Sri Lanka would soon feel the change.

