Peace for the World

Peace for the World
First democratic leader of Justice the Godfather of the Sri Lankan Tamil Struggle: Honourable Samuel James Veluppillai Chelvanayakam

Thursday, October 17, 2013

BBS wants Defence Ministry to take over Archaeological Department

THURSDAY, 17 OCTOBER 2013 
The Bodu Bala Sena (BBS) yesterday accused the Archaeological Department of destroying artefacts and urged that they be placed under the purview of the Ministry of Defence and Urban Development.

Video

“The Archaeological Department is not capable of protecting our heritage. There are some corrupt officers in the department. They are giving away clues to treasure hunters. The Defence Ministry should take over the Department,” BBS General Secretary Galagoda Aththe Gnanasara Thera told a news conference while referring to recent media reports about treasure hunters ransacking the tomb of Sugala Devi in Polonnaruwa.

“We went to Siripura in Paludeniya at Polonnaruwa to inspect the area after the media reports. There were items of historical value in the area where a quarry is functioning at present.  There is also a historical temple at one end of the plains,” he said.

He said an initial investigation report carried out by the Archeological Department in 2004 has confirmed that the Paludeniya area was enclosed with artefacts and also the area could be declared as an archeological protected site.

“The present director of the Department, he himself had contributed to the initial report in 2004 as the deputy director. Today he is rejecting that there is no archeological value in the area. Either he should resign if can’t fulfill his duty or we request us to handover the department,” the Thera said.

He also suggested the Department should take action to display artefacts uncovered in the department excavations without keeping them in store rooms.
He said the department should not let archeological sites to turn into quarries in disguise of development projects.

“The department will start giving permission to mine the stone of Sigiriya if it continues to act like this,” he said.(Lahiru Pothmulla)

Campaign against Muslims to commence on the 22nd

muslimsThe hate campaign launched a few months ago by the extremist Bodhu Bala Sena (BBS) against the Muslims in Sri Lanka, which took a back seat for some time, is to re-commence the campaign on the 22nd of this month.
The BBS has said it would re-commence the agitation campaign against the issuing of halal certificates in the country.
The National Organizer of the BBS, Ven. Vitharandeniya Nanda Thero has said the anti-halal campaign that was temporarily halted in the last few months will re-commence on October 22nd.
The Thero has said the BBS organization was deceived by the authorities who had said that they would resolve the issue.
According to Ven. Nanda Thero, the Defence Secretary and the Mahanayake Theros had intervened and said they would resolve the halal issue, but nothing had been done to resolve the matter.
The BBS has organized a motorcade that will start from Colombo and proceed to the Dalada Maligawa in Kandy on October 22nd at 8:30 am.
The organization is to then call for a boycott of products that have been labelled halal.