Peace for the World

Peace for the World
First democratic leader of Justice the Godfather of the Sri Lankan Tamil Struggle: Honourable Samuel James Veluppillai Chelvanayakam

Saturday, September 14, 2013

Irretrievable economic mess: Soldiers not paid for 2 months ; NSB seeks loan
(Lanka-e-News-14.Sep.2013, 7.00PM) The country’s abysmal and acute economic crisis was well illustrated when it became known that the salaries of the army soldiers had still not been paid by the MaRa regime, based on information from sources within the army.

The ration money that ought to be paid to the Army soldiers had not been released to them for the last two months! Those soldiers who do not stay in the camps and travel from homes and those soldiers who go on leave must be paid a certain amount of money by the army in respect of their meals. Usually it is about Rs. 300/- per day. The soldiers who are working sans overtime payments naturally find it difficult to eke out a living without this ration money. For the last two months these soldiers have not been paid these monies citing various bogus grounds and lies.

Even the gas allowance payable to soldiers had not been paid .Since January this year the soldiers have been told , a month’s salary shall be given in lieu of overtime payment , but that too has not materialized. In addition , the suppliers to the army too had not been paid for the last 4 to5 months , it is reported. The payments to owners of vehicles hired by the army had also run into arrears for the last 4 to 5 months. 

Though these payments had not been paid duly , the former army commander Jagath Jayasooriya had made sure that his con men and cronies are paid duly on time. His con men , a major and a Lieutenant who claim they are of his media have of course ruthlessly plundered large sums of public money making out false payment claims on the pretext that they are for the media.

One of the many examples that bears out this allegation is , when a reception was accorded for the former army Commander in Jaffna , a sum of Rs.35000 was collected by his con men cronies as payment for the media , though not a single media personnel went to Jaffna on that occasion.

Meanwhile Dr. Harsha De Silva dropped a bombshell when addressing a media briefing , he said , even without Parliament’s approval or debate , the National savings bank has asked for a credit line to the tune of US dollars 400 million and a sum of US dollars 200 had been requested from a Middle east Bank. This is clear testimony that the country is in an irretrievable economic mess. These hush hush deals and negotiations are because the government wants to conceal its monumental economic bungling from the people who will have to ultimately pay for the sins recklessly and irresponsibly committed by the MaRa regime, he pointed out with deep concern.