Peace for the World

Peace for the World
First democratic leader of Justice the Godfather of the Sri Lankan Tamil Struggle: Honourable Samuel James Veluppillai Chelvanayakam

Saturday, May 11, 2013


Salley released following denial of Indian magazine report


article_image
By Shamindra Ferdinando and Lal Gunasekera-May 10, 2013

President Mahinda Rajapaksa ordered the immediate release of leader of the Muslim-Tamil National Alliance (MTNA), Azath Salley, after the latter denied a report in India’s Junior Vikatan magazine that he had asked the Muslims to take up arms against the Sri Lankan state. The directive was given before President Rajapaksa left on an official visit to Uganda.

Salley was detained by the Criminal Investigation Department (CID) on suspicion of having committed offences under the Penal code and the Prevention of Terrorism Act (PTA). Under the PTA he was to be detained for three months.

Having admitted that he was interviewed by the magazine, Salley, in an affidavit dated May 9, handed over to President Rajapaksa, alleged that Junior Vikatan had misquoted him and therefore he shouldn’t be penalized.

The magazine published the interview under the heading "Muslims too will take up arms ... Colombo’s Azad Salley".

The MTNA leader urged President Rajapaksa to secure his release.

Authoritative sources said that President Rajapaksa, having consulted relevant authorities ordered that Salley be released.

Referring to the recently concluded three decade war, Salley said that he would never back any community taking up arms against the state as he had realized the catastrophic consequences of such action.

Commenting on government allegations that he had been involved in an Indian organization called Popular Front of India (PFI) allegedly acting in a manner inimical to Sri Lanka’s interests, Sally said that he had recently participated at a conference organized by the organization without knowing its background.

Authoritative government sources said that the conference had been organized under the theme of ‘Freedom of Rights for Sri Lankan Tamils’ at the Singapore Palace Hotel in Egmore Chennai on April 16, 2013.

When the controversial interview and Salley’s participation at the Chennai conference were brought to the notice of the Defence Ministry, Defence Secretary Gotabhaya Rajapaksa, ordered an investigation. The Defence Ministry told The Island that Salley evading arrest had finally been taken into custody on May 2.