CHOGM WILL BE LIKE ‘WEDDING WITHOUT THE BRIDE’ – HARIN
May 9, 2013
UNP MP Harin Fernando today said that the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting (CHOGM) scheduled to be held in Sri Lanka this year, “is like a wedding without the bride.”
Buckingham Palace announced this week that the Queen will not be attending the summit in November, for the first time since 1973, and will be represented by the Prince of Wales.
The 87-year-old monarch’s decision to stay away is part of a gradual move to cut down her long-distance foreign trips, according to reports.
Fernando stated that he had previously proclaimed the Queen would not be part of the summit but the Deputy Speaker had rejected it and that what he had said then has now been proven true.
Speaking at a press briefing in Colombo today, the parliamentarian further said that instead of the ruling party’s “Rata Nagana Nil Rella” programme, the United National Party is prepared to launch a “rebellion” to widen its member base.
Condemning the arrest of former CMC member Azath Salley’s arrest as “unjust,” MP Harin Fernando said he too can be arrested for declaring they will start a “rebellion”.
He charged that while those accused of murder and rape in Tangalle, Akuressa and Kahawatta are roaming free, persons having democratically voicing opposing opinions are being arrested and locked up.
May 8, 2013, 10:14 pm
by Shamindra Ferdinando
Well informed sources told The Island that the independent group comprising civil society personalities had explained to top level government representatives that they intended to go it alone.
Sources quoted the group as having told the government that the vast majority of those living in the Northern region resented both Tamil National Alliance (TNA) as well as the UPFA constituent, the EPDP.
The group has suggested that the government should ensure a level playing field in the Northern Province, according to sources.
EPDP leader Douglas Devananda has already declared his willingness to be the UPFA’s chief ministerial candidate.
Asked whether the entry of an independent group into the fray could weaken the government campaign, UPFA sources said the ruling coalition would campaign hard in the Northern Province. However, an influential section of the government was of the view that regardless of the consequences, the right of this particular independent group to contest the election should be respected.
Responding to a query, sources said that the government was determined to go ahead with the Northern Provincial Council election though some constituents of the ruling coalition as well as civil society organizations, supportive of the UPFA, were opposed to the move on the ground it could lead to the division of the country. National Freedom Front (NFF) leader Minister Wimal Weerawansa recently declared that he wouldn’t hesitate even to give up his ministerial portfolio as a mark of protest against the NCP polls.