Gotabhaya warns of Western Trojan horses through special projects
USD one million offered for two NGOs
March 10, 2013, 10:08 pm
By Shamindra Ferdinando-March 10, 2013,
The government was seriously concerned about a fresh NGO onslaught in the wake of Western powers working overtime to destabilize the country, he said. Obviously, the ongoing 22nd sessions of the United Nations Human Rights Council (UNHRC) in Geneva were a rallying point for anti-Sri Lankan elements, an irate Rajapaksa told The Island yesterday.
The Defence Secretary was responding to a US State Department decision to fund two special projects, to the tune of USD 500,000 each, one for increasing support and the other for safety of journalists and facilitating post-war reconciliation in the country.
The US announcement was made on Thursday amidst a simmering dispute between the two countries over the US moving a second resolution against Sri Lanka at the UNHRC sessions.
Those already propagating anti-Sri Lanka sentiments would now be in the fray for fresh funds, the Defence Secretary alleged. One million US dollars would be a powerful inducement for NGOs to go all out against Sri Lanka, the Defence Secretary said. The latest US initiative could be a long term project in accordance with their overall objectives detrimental to Sri Lanka, the he said.
Responding to a query, the Defence Secretary recalled alleged abuse of foreign funds received by some Sri Lankan journalists during the war. The revelation forced one of them to leave the country, the official said, adding that the unprecedented fraud wouldn’t have come to light if not for the recipients of donor funds fighting among themselves. The Defence Secretary said that the government was closely watching the situation. Asked whether the government opposed US funding of special projects here, the Rajapaksa alleged that the NGO community was taking foreign donors for a ride.
The war veteran urged the donors to estimate the total amount of funds given to NGOs since the signing of the Norwegian-arranged Ceasefire Agreement in Feb 2002. He called for proper examination of NGO funding. "In fact, the liberation of the entire Vanni region in May 2009 exposed those who had been receiving funds for various projects in LTTE-held areas. Troops didn’t come across any newly built facilities, not even a playground in the Vanni," the Defence Secretary said.
He said that three major NGOs received over Rs. 600 million for projects for a three-year period beginning 2008. It was just a fraction of the money received by local NGOs since 2002, he said, adding that a recent Norwegian report, which dealt with their peace efforts here, revealed the massive funding operation.
The decision to provide USS 01 million for two special projects should be examined in the backdrop of recent USAID statement that the total amount of US funding for non-state sector for this year amounted to $ 13 mn, the official said.
Commenting on funding for projects to promote national reconciliation, the Defence Secretary pointed out that the LTTE had been the primary obstacle to peace. Successive governments went out of their way to reach an understanding with the LTTE, he said, recalling President Mahinda Rajapaksa, too, sending delegations abroad for talks with the LTTE in early 2006. The Defence Secretary said that national reconciliation couldn’t be achieved by funding those propagating lies against the country.
He said that it would be interesting to know whether any NGOs operating in other conflict zones received funding for similar projects.
20000 new houses to be built ... in the South
Tamil Guardian 09 March 2013
| The Ministry of Construction, Engineering Services, Housing and Common Amenities of Sri Lanka announced that 20000 new houses were under construction to aid low income families. |
The new construction phase is part of the 'Colombo city revival programme' which looks to construct 40,117 houses by the end of this year.
The Ministry's active steps to amend living standards in the capital come as disparities in the North-East remain unchanged.
US criticises “rushed resettlement” of IDPs
| Tamil Guardian 18 October 2012 |
The US Embassy in Colombo has expressed concern over Sri Lanka’s Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) resettlement programme.
A press release by the embassy welcomed the government’s speedy resettlement of a large number of IDPs, but noted concern about resettlement on land “without adequate shelter, water and sanitation”.
“The United States welcomes the work by the Government of Sri Lanka to quickly resettle the large number of internally displaced persons (IDPs) following the 26-year conflict." said the press release.
"However, we remain concerned about the rushed resettlement of the final IDPs to close the Menik Farm camp. Many of the most vulnerable families of the war-affected population in the North have been placed on land hastily cleared without adequate shelter, water and sanitation, or provisions to continue their livelihoods.
"Meanwhile, many long term IDPs remain unable to return home or access basic services from the Government of Sri Lanka.”
US Embassy Press Release on IDPs
Tamil Guardian 18 October 2012
October 18, 2012, Colombo: The U.S. Government recently awarded over $3million to three organizations supporting resettling communities in the Mullaitivu and Killinochchi districts. The United States Agency for International Development (USAID)'s Office of U.S. Foreign Disaster Assistance awarded funding toZOA Refugee Care, Sewalanka, and Practical Action to provide the basic needs that many Sri Lankans urgently require. The support will provide help to nearly 50,000 Sri Lankans with basic services such as adequate shelter, access to potable water and proper sanitation, and food security. The programs will also put these individuals on the road to a sustainable future, with support to start generating needed income, and connect farmers and fishermen with markets.
The United States welcomes the work by the Government of Sri Lanka to quickly resettle the large number of internally displaced persons (IDPs) following the 26-year conflict. However, we remain concerned about the rushed resettlement of the final IDPs to close the Menik Farm camp. Many of the most vulnerable families of the war-affected population in the North have been placed on land hastily cleared without adequate shelter, water and sanitation, or provisions to continue their livelihoods. Meanwhile, many long term IDPs remain unable to return home or access basic services from the Government of Sri Lanka. Through its assistance, the United States is helping resettled people move towards a better future and the U.S. Embassy looks forward to continuing to work with the Government of Sri Lanka provide the services and care Sri Lankans need.