Sri Lanka war investigation lags, abuses persist: U.N.
By Stephanie Nebehay-Wed Feb 13, 2013
The U.N. High Commissioner for Human Rights, Navi Pillay, called on authorities to allow international experts in criminal and forensic investigations to help resolve outstanding wartime crimes and end impunity.
"The steps taken by the government to investigate allegations of serious violations of human rights further have also been inconclusive and lack the independence and impartiality required to inspire confidence," Pillay said in a report on a U.N. mission that went to Sri Lanka in September.
Rights groups say the Sri Lankan military killed thousands of ethnic minority Tamil civilians in the shrinking territory held by rebels of the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam just before their defeat in May 2009.
An expert panel set up by U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon, whose findings have been rejected by Colombo, has said the army committed large-scale abuses and that as many as 40,000 civilians were killed in the last months of the conflict.
Pillay said the government has not set up a mechanism to trace adults who went missing during the latter stages of the war and that investigations of disappearances had not led to arrests or prosecutions.
The commissioner, a former judge of the International Criminal Court, last month accused Sri Lanka of "gross interference" in the judiciary, saying its removal of chief justice Shirani Bandaranayake could jeopardize efforts to prosecute war crimes.
Sri Lanka has only committed to implement some of the recommendations of its own official investigation into the three-decade civil war, known as the Lessons Learnt and Reconciliation Commission, issued in late 2011, her report said. Continued...