Peace for the World

Peace for the World
First democratic leader of Justice the Godfather of the Sri Lankan Tamil Struggle: Honourable Samuel James Veluppillai Chelvanayakam

Thursday, May 3, 2018

President’s Chief of Staff and Timber Corp. Chairman arrested over Rs 20m bribe

President’s Chief of Staff and Timber Corp. Chairman arrested over Rs 20m bribe
logoMay 3, 2018
The Bribery Commission has arrested the President’s Chief of Staff Dr I.H.K. Mahanama and the Chairman of the State Timber Corporation (STC) P. Dissanayake while accepting a bribe of Rs 20 million. 
According to reports, they were taken into custody by officers of the Commission to Investigate Allegations of Bribery or Corruption while soliciting the bribe at a prominent luxury hotel in Colombo. 
They had allegedly requested a bribe of Rs 100 million from an individual with regards to a deal on the shares of a company and had accepted part of it, Rs 20 million, as an initial payment.  
Dr I.H.K. Mahanama is the former Secretary to the Ministry of Lands who was recently appointed to the influential position of the President’s Chief of Staff.

Defeated SLFP LG candidate assaults school cricketer



2018-05-03 
A video footage of a Sri Lanka Freedom Party (SLFP) candidate who had unsuccessfully contested the last Local Government election for the Kuliyapitiya Pradeshiya Sabha, assaulting a teenage cricketer playing for a leading Kurunegala school is circulating in the social media.
The footage shows the victim who was a resident in the same area being assaulted by several individuals including a 16 year-old boy at Tissa Mawatha near Kuliyapitiya bus stand recently.
Police said that the incident had taken place following a dispute in college.
The victim, who was brutally assaulted using a shovel and a helmet, was admitted to the Kuliypitiya Base Hospital and later transferred to the Kurunegala Teaching Hospital. He was discharged from the hospital on yesterday.
Police said the 16 year-old student suspect had been arrested following the incident however the main suspect SLFP candidate and the others had fled the area.
The underaged suspect was ordered to be detained in a safe house by Kuliyapitiya Magistrate Ruwan Dhammika Dissanayake.
He was to be produced for an identification parade.
Police investigations are underway to arrest the other suspects. (Dinesh Upendra)

Israel convicts Palestinian poet Dareen Tatour of Facebook 'incitement'


Tatour to appeal conviction for 'Resist' poem and alleged support of Islamic Jihad, saying posts were misinterpreted

Tatour and her lawyer, Gaby Lasky, in court (Reuters)

Mustafa Abu Sneineh's picture
Mustafa Abu Sneineh-Thursday 3 May 2018
A Palestinian poet was convicted of "inciting violence" and "supporting a terrorist organisation" by an Israeli court on Thursday for content she posted on social media that prosecutors claimed urged violence against the occupation.
Nazareth magistrates' court found Dareen Tatour, a Palestinian citizen of Israel, guilty over a poem titled "Resist, My People, Resist Them" posted on Facebook and separate posts dealing with Palestinian resistance. 
Resist, my people, resist them.
In Jerusalem, I dressed my wounds and breathed my sorrows
And carried the soul in my palm
For an Arab Palestine.
I will not succumb to the peaceful solution,
Never lower my flags
Until I evict them from my land.
- Resist, My People, Resist Them
Prosecutors argued that the poem incited violence, while Tatour also commented on a post featuring Islamic Jihad declaring its commitment to a new intifada, or "uprising" - meaning, according to the charges, that she supported "terrorism".
According to the Israeli indictment, Tatour also uploaded a video on her Facebook and YouTube accounts that shows footage of Palestinians throwing stones at the Israeli army troops, with her reading in the background of her "Resist, My People, Resist Them" poem.
The 36-year-old's lawyer Gaby Lasky argued the poem had been misinterpreted by Israeli translators, that the content was "artistic expression" rather than a call to violence, and that the Israeli charges ran counter to the freedom of expression of her client.
"The verdict violates the right of speech and freedom of expression. It is an infringement on cultural rights of the Palestinian minority inside Israel. It would lead to self-censorship and self-criminalisation of poetry."
Lasky said she would appeal against the verdict. A date for sentencing has not been set.
Dareen Tatour in her home outside Nazareth, September 2017 (Reuters)

'The mask of Israeli justice'

Tatour said after the verdict that her trial "ripped off the masks" of Israeli democracy and justice. 
"The whole world will hear my story. The whole world will hear what Israel's democracy is. A democracy for Jews only. Only Arabs go to jail. The court said I am convicted of terrorism. If that's my terrorism, I give the world a terrorism of love."
More than 150 American literary figures have called for Israel to free Tatour, including nine Pulitzer Prize winners including Alice Walker, along with Claudia Rankine, Naomi Klein and Jacqueline Woodson.
Tatour was arrested on 11 October 2015, about a week after she published her poem.
In an interview before the verdict, Tatour told Middle East Eye she had already spent two and a half years flitting between custody and house arrest.
She said Israeli interrogators initially had little to question her about.
"First, they accused me of incitement based on a poster I posted in 2014, which contained the words "I'm the next martyr". The martyrs are the victims of the Israeli occupation, who are being shot by soldiers," Tatour said.
"The accusation was weak, so they dug into my Facebook and found the poem."
She said the second verse was misinterpreted.
"Here, they interpreted a line in the poem that says 'Resist, my people, resist them, Resist the settler’s robbery, And follow the caravan of martyrs' - as inciting people to be killed and be martyrs."
The poem tells a story of three Palestinians, "victims of the Israeli occupation", according to Tatour: Mohammed Abu Khdier, a teen who was kidnapped and burned to death by three Israeli settlers in Jerusalem in 2014; Hadeel al-Hashlamon, 18, who was shot by Israeli troops in Hebron city; and 18-month-old Ali Dawabsheh who was burned alive in the fire with his parents in an arson attack by Israeli settlers in July 2015, in Duma, in the West Bank.
"Those are all martyrs. Although, it feels odd to call them like that in English or Hebrew because they are victims. But in Arabic, there is no separation between the meaning of martyr and victim when he or she is shot by Israeli soldiers," she said.
"Palestinians who were killed in the Israeli war over Gaza are called martyrs."
House arrest
Tatour was arrested for three months and was interrogated five times by Israeli officers. Each interrogation lasted five to six hours, she told the MEE.
In January 2016 Tatour was released, after being fitted with an ankle monitor, to a house arrest for six months at the home of her brother in Kiryat Ono neighbourhood in Tel Aviv.
"They considered me a danger for Israelis, but when they dictated the location of my house arrest, they could not find a place more Israeli than Tel Aviv to do that. I find this ironic," she said.
She added that the house arrest was a harsh experience.
Far from her family in Reineh village, she was not allowed to use a mobile phone or the internet or even to publish texts in the media. After four months of house arrest, she was allowed to leave the house for two hours on weekends, if accompanied by a relative.
"I had two choices, detention or house arrest. I was not allowed to publish any poetry or texts in the media according to the Israeli court," she said.
Tatour considers Fadwa Tuqan, a Palestinian poet, and Nazik al-Malaika, an Iraqi poet, as her role models and intellectual inspiration.
I was not allowed to publish any poetry or texts in the media according to the Israeli court
- Dareen Tatour
She has published one poetry collection in 2010 titled "The Final Invasion". Her second collection, "The Atlantic Canary Tales", was due to be published in December 2015, but her arrest prevented that.
In addition, Tatour has another book written about her detention waiting for publication.
"I wrote a lot while in prison. The Israeli prosecution tried to press that I provoked the publishing ban when my poem A Poet Behind Bars appeared in the International Translation Day in English on Pen International website.
"I wrote this poem before the ban, on 2 of November, the day I was indicted, in Jalameh prison," she said.
Her translated poems appeared recently in A Blade of Grass: New Palestinian Anthology, a UK bilingual Arabic and English anthology published in 2017, that presents Palestinian poets. Its editor, sci-fi novelist and poet Naomi Foyle told MEE that "tens of thousands of recorded instances of Zionist hate speech go unnoticed by Israeli courts. In convicting Dareen Tatour of incitement, Israel confirms again its true nature: an apartheid prison state."
The last text Tatour wrote was titled "The Final Chapter", Tatour told MEE.
"It is a poem. I am asking whether I would face freedom or prison after the verdict. In the end, I conclude that whatever the decision will be, I will end up free."

Israeli high court abets war crime against Khan al-Ahmar

Palestinian schoolchildren pose for a picture in Khan al-Ahmar. Israel is planning to demolish their school, which serves 160 children from five villages. 
 Faiz Abu RmelehActiveStills

Tamara Nassar- 2 May 2018

Israel’s high court is aiding and abetting the forced displacement of residents from Khan al-Ahmar village in the occupied West Bank.
Israeli occupation authorities plan to demolish the village to expand settlements.
This is a war crime under international law, human rights groups are warning.
Israel issued expulsion orders to residents of Khan al-Ahmar multiple times in the past year, even though legal proceedings were ongoing in Israeli courts.
Israeli authorities were waiting for the high court’s blessings to complete the forcible transfer by April.
The court held its final hearing on 25 April to deliberate the fate of the Palestinian community, and announcedthat if residents do not submit a detailed plan to move to an alternative location by 3 May they will be forced to move to an area near the landfill of the Palestinian village of Abu Dis.
About a week before the hearing, Jamie McGoldrick, the top UN humanitarian official in the occupied West Bank and Gaza Strip, visited Khan al-Ahmar and called on Israeli authorities “to respect their legal obligations, as the occupying power, including through stopping the demolition of Palestinian-owned structures and ceasing plans for the relocation of Palestinian Bedouin communities.”
On Tuesday, Chris Gunness, spokesperson for UNRWA, the UN agency for Palestine refugees, pointed to the impossibility of the Israeli high court’s requirement that the residents of Khan al-Ahmar come up with a plan for their own displacement within a week.
“No such plans exist and the request itself is entirely unfeasible in the context of the discriminatory planning regime in Area C,” Gunness stated, noting that the residents “do not want to be compelled to relocate to an alternative site.”
The Israeli High Court has asked the Bedouin from Khan al Ahmar, near , to submit a detailed plan for an alternative location within a week, or face possible relocation. The Bedouin do not want to be compelled to relocate to an alternative site. (1/4) RT
1 The Israeli High Court has asked the Bedouin from Khan al Ahmar, near Jerusalem, 2 submit a detailed plan 4 an alternative location within a week. No such plans exist & the request itself is entirely unfeasible in the context of the discriminatory planning regime in Area C. RT
View image on Twitter
3. The threat of demolition of the school in Khan al Ahmar is part of the coercive environment imposed on Bedouin Palestine refugees in the central West Bank. Khan el Ahmar community is part of the 46+ communities in the central West Bank at threat of forcible transfer RT
Forcing already impoverished residents to move near a landfill would moreover expose them to an unhealthy environment and force them to give up their customary livelihood of herding.
“The humanitarian impact of home demolition is severe and long-lasting,” Scott Anderson, of the United Nations humanitarian monitoring group OCHA said.
“It is well documented in previous instances that the transfer of Bedouin communities into urban settings is socially and economically nonviable.”
At the hearing, the community of Khan al-Ahmar asked Israeli authorities to recognize their homes.
But the court also heard a petition filed by the far-right Israeli organization Regavim, which called for Israeli authorities to demolish the village regardless of whether or not residents have a place to live, according to the publication Palestine Monitor.

War crime

Khan al-Ahmar is home to members of the Jahalin tribe, including 32 Bedouin families, numbering more than 170 people, half of them children.
The village is located in Area C, which constitutes 60 percent of the occupied West Bank.
Area C remains under complete Israeli military rule under the terms of the Oslo accords signed between Israel and the Palestine Liberation Organization in the early 1990s.
Israel refuses to permit virtually any Palestinian construction in Area C, forcing Palestinians to build without permits and to live in constant fear that their homes will be demolished.

Khan al-Ahmar’s school was built in 2009 out of rubber tires and mud in an attempt to evade Israel’s restriction on Palestinians using cement for construction, and has been under constant threats of demolition.
Save Our School! just 3 days away from the High Court hearing that will determine if the school of Al Khan al Ahmar will be demolished. We're asking British citizens to help by urging their MPs to demand immediate action by the UK Government > http://bit.ly/SaveMySchool 
It is the “only school accessible to 160 children from five villages in the area,” Human Rights Watch stated.
“The Israeli military’s refusal to issue building permits and then knocking down schools without permits is discriminatory and violates children’s right to education,” said Bill Van Esveld of Human Rights Watch. Israel has also failed to replace schools it did demolish.
Human Rights Watch is calling on the International Criminal Court prosecutor to examine school demolitions and investigate “individuals whom evidence suggests may be responsible for these crimes.”
In September, Israeli human rights organization B’Tselem warned Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and other Israeli officials that they would be personally liable for war crimes if they go ahead with the demolition of Khan al-Ahmar and Susiya, a second village, to make way for Israeli settlements.
After a key hearing, Israel's High Court postponed by a week decision on razing school in Khan al-Ahmar. To avoid the possibility of criminal prosecution, Israeli officials should use extra time to drop discriminatory plans https://www.hrw.org/news/2018/04/25/israel-army-demolishing-west-bank-schools 
In Britain, 51 members of Parliament are backing a nonbinding motion calling on the UK government “to exert meaningful and decisive political, diplomatic and economic pressure on the Israeli authorities to halt the demolitions program as a whole.”

Decades of forced displacement

Khan al-Ahmar is located between the Israeli settlements of Maaleh Adumim and Kfar Adumim in the so-called E1 area of the occupied West Bank.
This land east of Jerusalem is where Israel plans to expand its mega-settlement of Maaleh Adumim, completing the isolation of the northern and southern parts of the West Bank from each other.
Israel forcibly relocated Jahalin families to Abu Dis in the 1990s to make way for Maaleh Adumim settlement.
All of Israel’s settlements in the occupied West Bank are illegal under international law.
If the planned expulsion proceeds, this would be the second time the community of Khan al-Ahmar is forcibly displaced.
The families were initially expelled from the Naqab region by the Israeli military in the 1950s.