Duterte tells Philippine soldiers to shoot female rebels in their vaginas

Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte reviews an honor guard at the Bureau of Customs in Manila on Feb. 6. (Mark R. Cristino/European Pressphoto Agency)
BEIJING — Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte told soldiers last week to shoot female rebels in their genitals, the latest in a series of violent, misogynistic remarks.Addressing a group of former communist rebels on Wednesday, Duterte, who served as a city mayor before becoming president, appeared to encourage the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) to target women in conflict.
“Tell the soldiers. ‘There’s a new order coming from the mayor. We won’t kill you. We will just shoot your vagina,’ ” he said.
“If there is no vagina, it would be useless,” Duterte continued, according to local media reports, appearing to imply that women are useless without their genitals.
The president’s communications office included the comment in the official transcript from the event but replaced the word “vagina” with a dash.
Since he came to power on a promise to kill all the drug users and dealers in the country, thousands of Filipinos have been shot dead, prompting the International Criminal Court to open a preliminary examination.
According to the official transcript from the Wednesday event, the crowd did, in fact, laugh at Duterte’s remarks.
Duterte, who was elected president in 2016, has made headlines for “joking” about the rape of a kidnapped Australian who was later killed and for telling troops to rape women in conflict. He often shares unsolicited opinions on the sexual attractiveness of women, particularly female politicians who question his policies, in an apparent effort to demean, shame and silence them.
As Duterte’s translated remarks began to circulate over the weekend, feminist and human rights groups expressed dismay.
The Post's Emily Rauhala visited the city of Marawi in the Philippines after a months-long siege against ISIS-aligned militants came to an end.
“Duterte [sic] latest nasty remark openly encourages violence against women, contributes to the impunity on such, and further confirms himself as the most dangerous macho-fascist in the government right now,” a representative for Gabriela, a feminist organization, said in a statement.
“He is pushing the fascist AFP to commit more bloody human rights violations and grave abuses of international humanitarian law, and takes state terrorism against women and the people to a whole new level.”
In a statement, Carlos Conde, a researcher for Human Rights Watch, called Duterte’s remarks “the latest in a series of misogynist, derogatory and demeaning statements he has made about women.”
“It encourages state forces to commit sexual violence during armed conflict, which is a violation of international humanitarian law,” the statement added.


















Patients in the study had to control the rocket and bring it down to earth-KING'S COLLEGE LONDON