US presses Russia for immediate ceasefire in Syria
Call comes after Russia offers 'specific' proposal to end hostilities as International Syria Support Group prepares to meet in Munich
The UN human rights chief described the situation around Aleppo as "grotesque" (AFP)

Thursday 11 February 2016
The US is pressing Russia for an immediate end to its bombing in Syria, US diplomatic sources have said, as the country's top diplomats met before wider "moment of truth" talks on the five-year war.
AFP reported that the US Secretary of State John Kerry on Thursday was pushing for an "immediate ceasefire" from Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov, hours after Lavrov announced he had presented a "specific" proposal and was awaiting a US response.
Lavrov's comments come hours before the International Syria Support Group (ISSG) of 17 countries including Russia, Saudi Arabia and the US, was set to meet in Munich to discuss the war.
Earlier, Western officials told Reuters that Russia had proposed a ceasefire beginning on 1 March.
Meanwhile, US Defence Secretary Ashton Carter said on Thursday that Nato was "exploring the possibility" of joining the fight against the Islamic State (IS) group, meaning the alliance and Russian forces could both be fighting in Syria.
His comments came after a meeting of defence officials in Brussels.
Carter did not expand on what role Nato would perform in Syria and Iraq, but the US has already requested aerial reconnaissance assistance from the alliance.
Russia has intensified its bombing of Syrian rebels around Aleppo this month in its support of Syrian president, Bashar al-Assad, sending tens of thousands of civilians running for the Turkish border.
AFP quoted a US diplomat as saying their country "continues to push for an immediate ceasefire. We are continuing to work through various ways to achieve one as soon as possible."
Kerry and Lavrov were reportedly scheduled to talk before the main ISSG meeting, and the Russian foreign minister said he would wait for an American response to his ceasefire offer before taking it into the evening meeting.
American 'Plan B'
Washington wants a ceasefire and humanitarian access to besieged rebel cities but has threatened an unspecified "Plan B" if talks fail, according to the AFP.
A government offensive on the north-eastern city of Aleppo and its surroundings, which is being pushed with the support of Russian air strikes, has forced tens of thousands to flee what was once Syria's largest residential hub.
Observers say 500 people have been killed inside the city, with the UN warning that hundreds of thousands of people who have been unable to flee could become trapped without basic aid after government forces took control of the last supply line into the city from Turkey.
Amid the ongoing offensive, foreign ministers of a 17-member Syria group including the US, Russia, Iran and Saudi Arabia, began meeting in the German city of Munich on Thursday.
Kerry has dubbed the Munich talks a "moment of truth" for the future of the conflict after the break down of UN-brokered peace talks in Geneva in early February.
The UN human rights chief meanwhile described the worsening situation around Aleppo as "grotesque" and has warned that up to 300,000 people are at risk of being besieged.
Zeid Ra'ad al-Hussein said on Thursday that about 51,000 civilians had fled since the offensive began last week.
"The warring parties in Syria are constantly sinking to new depths, without apparently caring in the slightest about the death and destruction they are wreaking across the country," he said, adding that peace talks must resume as soon as possible.