Peace for the World

Peace for the World
First democratic leader of Justice the Godfather of the Sri Lankan Tamil Struggle: Honourable Samuel James Veluppillai Chelvanayakam

Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Jordan hangs two Iraqi militants in response to pilot's death

Jordanian police are seen following the execution of two Iraqi prisoners at Swaqa prison near Amman February 4, 2015. 

Jordanian police are seen following the execution of two Iraqi prisoners at Swaqa prison near Amman February 4, 2015. REUTERS-Muhammad HamedA man purported to be Islamic State captive Jordanian pilot Muath al-Kasaesbeh is seen standing in a cage in this still image from an undated video filmed from an undisclosed location made available on social media on February 3, 2015. REUTERS-Social media via Reuters TV
 A man purported to be Islamic State captive Jordanian pilot Muath al-Kasaesbeh is seen standing in a cage in this still image from an undated video filmed from an undisclosed location made available More...
ReutersBY SULEIMAN AL-KHALIDI-AMMAN Wed Feb 4, 2015
(Reuters) - Jordan hanged two Iraqi jihadists, one a woman, on Wednesday in response to an Islamic State video showing a captured Jordanian pilot being burnt alive in a cage by the hard-line group.
Jordan Hangs Two Iraqi Militants in Response to Pilot's Death by Thavam Ratna

ISIS captors ‘didn't have a Quran,’ says ex-hostage

French journalist Didier François, who had spent 10 months being held captive by ISIS, has revealed the militants cared so little about religion they did not even have a Quran.
Speaking to CNN’s Christiane Amanpour, Francois said he did not witness any “religious discussion” between the militants.
"There was never really discussion about texts or -- it was not a religious discussion. It was a political discussion. It was more hammering what they were believing than teaching us about the Quran. Because it has nothing to do with the Quran. They didn't even have the Quran; they didn't want even to give us a Quran."
When asked for his reaction to witnessing the aftermath of his captors' torture of local Syrians and Iraqis, Francois said:
"We could see some of them in the corridors when we were taken to the toilets, and we could see some people lying in their blood. You could see the chains hanging, or the ropes hanging, or the iron bars."
The journalist revealed he was “beaten up” during his captivity.
"Of course we were beaten up. But it was not every day.
“It's hard enough to lose your freedom. It's hard enough to be in the hands of people who you know are killing hundreds and thousands of local Syrians, Iraqis, Libyans, Tunisians, can put bombs in our countries,” he added.
François was among the four French journalists freed in April 2014, along with Edouard Elias, Didier, Nicolas Hénin and Pierre Torres, who had been held hostage in Syria since June 2013 by ISIS.
French authorities released no details of their liberation, but Turkey’s Dogan News Agency first reported that an unknown group transported the journalists blindfolded and with hands bound on Friday night to the southeastern border of Turkey, where they were discovered by Turkish soldiers.
In the CNN interview, Francois also revealed that he had met an American woman held by ISIS twice.
“[Women] had a bit more freedom of movement … [Being an ISIS hostage] is frightening enough…being a woman doesn't make it easier," he said, reluctant to get into details about the American woman that would jeopardize her safety.
Last Update: Wednesday, 4 February 2015 KSA 13:29 - GMT 10:29

UAE halted Isis air attacks after pilot capture

US aircraft prepare to conduct strike missions against Isis targets in Syria
US aircraft prepare to conduct strike missions against Isis targets in Syria. The UAE is one of four Arab states in the anti-Isis coalition. Photograph: US Navy/Sipa/Rex

, Middle East editor-Wednesday 4 February 2015
US confirms United Arab Emirates suspended participation amid concerns over lack of contingency plans to rescue downed aircrew
The United Arab Emirates has suspended its air attacks against the Islamic State in Syria since the capture of a Jordanian pilot who was burned alive by the jihadi group, it has emerged.
US officials confirmed that the UAE, one of the four Arab states in the anti-Isis coalition, had ceased its participation because of concerns over a lack of contingency plans to rescue downed aircrew.
The news came as Jordan pledged to strike back hard at Isis over the brutal murder of the pilot, Muadh al-Kasasbeh, but against a background of concern that after an initial backlash to satisfy calls for revenge, popular opposition to the campaign may grow in the kingdom.
Jordan said there would be an “earth-shattering response” – even before the hanging of two al-Qaida prisoners on Wednesday.
The UAE, Jordan, Saudi Arabia and Bahrain joined the coalition when attacks began in September. All have flown sorties against Isis targets, but in the absence of any statistics in US military communiques and silence in their own capitals, most observers believe their participation has been largely symbolic.
President Barack Obama was keen to have Sunni Arab support to avoid the impression that the US alone was fighting the jihadi group. But critics, in Jordan and elsewhere, still attack the operation as an “American war” that is doing little to turn the tide against President Bashar al-Assad’s regime in Syria.
The New York Times reported that the UAE, shocked by Kasasbeh’s capture, is demanding that the Pentagon improve its search-and-rescue efforts, including the use of V-22 Osprey tilt-rotor aircraft, in northern Iraq, closer to the battleground, instead of basing the missions in Kuwait. The country’s pilots will not rejoin the fight until the Ospreys are put in place in northern Iraq, the paper said.
UAE officials have also reportedly expressed concern to the US that Iran is playing too large a part in the war against Isis. They especially dislike the prominent role being played by Iranian-backed Shia militias in Iraq, where anti-Sunni sectarianism is rife. Saudi Arabia, Iran’s greatest regional rival, shares those concerns.
The irony is that when the anti-Isis campaign began, the Emiratis were keen to advertise their participation, showcasing a female F16 pilot who flew one of the first sorties in Syria. The Saudis did the same with a pilot who was a member of the royal family. The Jordanians, by contrast, have maintained a lower profile, largely because of domestic criticism of King Abdullah’s decision to take part.
Shaikh Abdullah Bin Zayed Al Nahyan, the UAE foreign minister, condemned Kasasbeh’s murder. “This heinous crime represents a brutal escalation by [the] Daesh [Isis] terrorist group and revealed its evil goals,” he said.
Jordan hanged a jailed Iraqi militant whose release had been demanded by Isis before it burned Kasasbeh to death.
The Jordanian authorities also executed another senior al-Qaida prisoner sentenced to death for plots to wage attacks against the pro-western kingdom in the past decade.
Sajida al-Rishawi, the Iraqi female militant, was sentenced to death for her role in a 2005 suicide bomb attack that killed 60 people. Ziyad Karboli, an Iraqi al-Qaida operative who had been convicted in 2008 for killing a Jordanian, was also executed at dawn.
The executions were confirmed by government spokesman Mohammed al-Momani. The prisoners were executed in Swaqa prison, a large facility 70km (45 miles) south of the capital, Amman, just before dawn, a security source who was familiar with the case told Reuters. The executions of three other convicted terrorists were also scheduled for Wednesday.

Honduras: where women are killed for $60


NewsNews
TUESDAY 03 FEBRUARY 2015-
Channel 4 NewsThe killing of a beauty queen in Honduras in 2014 shed light on a country where drugs violence, criminal impunity and machismo have created a culture where females are murdered as a matter of course.

Warning: the video report contains distressing images
At least 19 people were killed and more than two dozen injured Feb. 4 outside Taipei.



View image on Twitter

 February 4 at 8:11 AM
A Taiwanese TransAsia turboprop plane carrying 58 passengers and crew slammed into a bridge on Wednesday morning, careening on its wing almost in a cartwheel over the roadway and crashing into a shallow river in Taipei — a horrifying scene captured by a motorist’s video camera. The accident killed at least 23 people and injured more than a dozen others,according to local news reports. Many passengers are still missing.

Footage from an in-car camera provided by a witness showed that a plane turned sideways and then grazed an elevated expressway before crashing in Taipei, Taiwan. (AP)
A Taiwan plane with 58 people on board crashed into a river shortly after takeoff from a Taipei airport, killing at least nine people. (Reuters)
Workers lifted the fuselage of a TransAsia Airways turboprop plane from the shallow river in Taipei where it crashed. At least 23 people were killed and many more are still missing. (AP)
Horrified Motorists Witness Taiwan Airliner Flip Into River. at Least 23 Killed. by Thavam Ratna

Saudi Arabia: Filipino Maid Disfigured with 

Boiling Water for not Bringing Coffee on Time

maid abused with boiling water
Ludovica Iaccino
International Business Times UKBy -May 20, 2014 14:53 BST
A Filipino maid has appealed for help after her Saudi Arabian employer caused her horrific burns by throwing boiling water on her body, ABS-CBN News reported.

The 23-year-old employee, known by the name Fatma, asked her cousin to help her after the incident.

Fatma’s cousin took pictures of her body disfigured by the burns and uploaded them on Facebook, where many people showed their support and compassion.

The maid, who is from Pikit, North Cotabato, said she had been working for the Arab family in Riyadh for two months. She was not given her salary or provided with proper meals.

Her employer poured boiling water on her after Fatma failed to bring coffee on time.

It took a few hours before Fatma was even brought to the hospital to be treated for her burns.

On her third day at the hospital, Fatma secretly gave a nurse a piece of paper with her older sister’s phone number in the Philippines.

Her sister was able to give the nurse the number of her relatives in Riyadh.

When her employer again brought Fatma to the hospital for treatment, Fatma’s cousin was able to rescue her.

The maid, who has two children back in the Philippines, appealed for help in filing a case against her abusive employer.

She is now in the custody of the Assistance to Nationals section of the Philippine embassy.

A representative from the Department of Social Welfare and Development said they are providing Fatma with food, clothing, toiletries and medicine.

This is not the first time a foreign maid employed in Saudi Arabia claims of being abused by her employer.

According to Amnesty International: “Foreign workers suffer greatly in Saudi Arabia. Some go unpaid. Some are beaten or even raped. If arrested, they’re subjected to trials conducted solely in Arabic without translation and many have no money for a lawyer or family to turn to for help.”

The governments of Saudi Arabia and the Philippines signed an agreement, last May, that gives Filipino workers more rights in the Gulf kingdom.

The agreement is specifically designed to grant better protection and welfare to Filipino household service workers (HSWs) employed in Saudi Arabia.
Related

Saudi Princess Arrested on Suspicion of Holding Maids Captive in Irvine

China is Turning Fecal Sludge Into ‘Black Gold’

Sewage Treatment PlantBloomberg Business-February 1, 2015

(Bloomberg) — Heinz-Peter Mang is obsessed with turning human waste into gold. As millions of Chinese move to cities, the German engineer is convinced the country is on the way to hitting the jackpot.

Walnut Coconut Milk with Turmeric and Cinnamon

Healthy Holistic LivingLearn how to make delicious nut milk with walnuts, coconut and two highly medicinal herbs, Turmeric and Cinnamon. If you don’t have a sprout bag, a regular strainer will do!
walnutturmeric

Tuesday, February 3, 2015

'Full and independent inquiry into war crimes' needed - UK Cabinet Minister
Secretary of State for Northern Ireland Theresa Villiers
 03 February 2015
Britain's Secretary of State for Northern Ireland Theresa Villiers stated Sri Lanka's new government should co-operate with a United Nations inquiry into mass atrocities and called for the rights of Tamils on the island to be protected. 

In a statement released on Monday, Ms Villiers said “the UK Government has consistently called for a full and independent inquiry into war crimes and human rights abuses during the civil war in Sri Lanka.” 

“Now it is important for the new government in Sri Lanka to cooperate with the work on the UN on these crucial issues, and for all sides to work together for a negotiated inclusive settlement which provides for political equality and protects the rights of Tamils and all parts of the community in Sri Lanka.”

Ms Villiers' statement also congratulated the All Party Parliamentary Group for Tamils and the British Tamil Forum for their “highly successful” dinner last week, saying the “fact that so many parliamentarians were here shows how influential the British Tamil community is in UK politics.”

"I am sure that all the elected representatives who [were present] are determined to see justice for the Tamil people,” she added in her statement.

Speaking to Tamil Guardian during the event Ms Villiers had reiterated the importance of accountability for mass atrocities in Sri Lanka.  “We need to see justice and accountability for what happened at the end of the war, and we need to see political progress to reach a settlement in Sri Lanka which sees equality for all parts of the community, including the Tamil community,” she said.

Commenting on Sri Lanka's newly formed government, Ms Villiers added, “It doesn’t change the fundamentals, the same questions need answering and the goals are the same as before the new government was elected.”

See more comments from Ms Villiers and other parliamentarians in our feature: 

British politicians call on Sri Lanka to cooperate with UN and de-militarise North-East
 (01 Feb 2015)

WORLD REPORT 2015-Sri Lanka

A Muslim woman cries next to her burnt house after a violent attack against Muslims in Aluthgama on June 16, 2014. © 2014 Reuters 
HRWThe Sri Lankan government has made little progress in providing accountability for wartime abuses. The government’s failure to comply with a March 2013 United Nations Human Rights Council resolution led to a new resolution in 2014. The resolution calls on the UN Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) to investigate serious violations of international human rights and humanitarian law and related crimes by both sides during Sri Lanka’s civil war, which ended in 2009.


Tamil mothers demand new Sri Lanka govt returns missing children

Photographs Uthayan

 02 February 2015
Tamil mothers of the disappeared protested in Kilinochchi on Monday, demanding the new Sri Lankan government provide an answer to where their missing children are, almost 6 years after the end of the armed conflict and release all political prisoners. 






Editorial-


President Maithripala Sirisena has said in a recent television interview that after winning the Jan. 08 presidential election he realised that the implementation of the joint Opposition’s 100-day programme was not possible without the SLFP’s cooperation in Parliament. The president, in spite of having unbridled executive powers, cannot function without parliamentary backing, he has maintained. He has thus sought to justify his securing the SLFP leadership a few days after winning the presidency as the common Opposition candidate.

Political marriages and honeymoons are not new to Sri Lankan politics. But, this is the first time we have seen political polygamy with both the government and the Opposition controlled by the Executive President!

One cannot be expected to be so naïve as to buy into the claim that before the presidential election, President Sirisena had been unaware of the fact that the executive president without control over Parliament was a virtual figurehead. It is not difficult to see that wresting control of the SLFP had been part of his strategy because he knew that there was absolutely nothing that he could achieve with the help of only the UNP as well as some SLFP crossovers in Parliament. That was why he kept on saying throughout the presidential campaign that he was still the SLFP General Secretary.

A politician who takes the trouble of contesting an election and winning is driven by a strong desire to exercise power and he tends to clear all obstacles in his or her path to achieve that end. That is the name of the game in realpolitik. After being elected President in 2005, Mahinda Rajapaksa engineered a string of crossovers from the UNP to consolidate his power in Parliament.

The late President Ranasinghe Premadasa famously declared in Parliament, when he was the Prime Minister under President J. R. Jayewardene, that he was as powerless as a peon in a government department. That was the time when the Old Fox was bragging that the only feat he could not achieve with the help of his unbridled executive powers was to make a man a woman and vice versa. This situation occurs only when both the President and the Prime Minister come from the same party. When they represent two different parties, the Prime Minister becomes more powerful than the President as was the case from 2001 to 2004 with Chandrika Kumaratunga as the President and Ranil Wickremesinghe as the Prime Minister. At that time, she even had to stomach many indignities at the hands of UNP ministers at Cabinet meetings which she chaired in her capacity as the head of government; one of them went so far as to demand that her handbag be checked as it was thought to be fitted with a hidden camera!

Now that President Sirisena has taken over the SLFP, his task will be to enable his party which stepped down at his behest to pave the way for his newfound allies led by the UNP to form a minority government to regain power.

In the aforesaid television interview the President said he would lead the SLFP parliamentary election campaign, but he would do so in such a way that the UNP would not be undermined. An election, however, is no friendly soft ball cricket match and the leader of a party has to enter the contest with the single-minded determination to win. Politics is all about power and a leader who baulks at going the whole hog to make his side emerge victorious runs the risk of facing revolts within his own party, especially when an alternative power centre exists. It is not possible for a party leader to run with the hare and hunt with the hounds in a fiercely contested parliamentary race.