Peace for the World

Peace for the World
First democratic leader of Justice the Godfather of the Sri Lankan Tamil Struggle: Honourable Samuel James Veluppillai Chelvanayakam

Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Fonseka’s Key Aide Quits, Accuses Former General Of Killing Sunday Leader Editor


Colombo TelegraphFebruary 25, 2014
Former Army Chief Sarath Fonseka‘s Media Coordinator quit the party in a blaze of publicity today, slamming his ex-boss for ruthless and authoritarian tactics and alleging that he had killed Sunday Leader EditorLasantha Wickrematunga.
Fonseka
Fonseka
Sanjeewa Samarasinghe told a press conference in Colombo today that was repeatedly disrupted by Fonseka’s Democratic Party members that the former Army Chief had run the party with a dictatorial style.
He said that it was clear Fonseka had been responsible for the murder of the Sunday Leader Editor Lasantha Wickrematunge in January 2009.
Several Fonseka party members sat amidst media personnel and repeatedly challenged Samarasinghe’s claims.
Later in the day, the Democratic Party hit back, saying that Samarasinghe had been sacked over his embezzlement of Rs 50000 and was now attempting to exact revenge. Samarasinghe has been with Fonseka’s party since the former Army Chief’s release from prison in 2012.

Conclusions and recommendations of the HC Navi Pillay report to UNHRC on Sri Lanka


SRI LANKA BRIEF

Monday, February 24, 2014


Promoting reconciliation and accountability in Sri Lanka  
Report of the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights*
Summary
   
Geneva's stranglehold on the regime 

 February 23, 2014
Never has an international organization or the United Nations, International Labour Organization, World Bank or the International Monitory Fund, managed to irritate a Sri Lankan Government or the ruling clan the way United Nations Human Rights Council has done, controlling the psyche and the process of physical preparation and execution of work with regard to the alleged human rights violations during the closing stages of the armed conflict between Sri Lankan security forces and armed militants of the Tamil terrorist groups led by the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE).


By Neville Ladduwahetty- February 24, 2014, 7:34 PM

Confusion on how to categorize Sri Lanka's conflict has a direct bearing on how the issue of accountability is handled. If categorized as an Armed Conflict the scope and nature of the accountability exercise would take a certain prescribed trajectory that is defined by internationally accepted provisions of International Humanitarian Law (IHL). On the other hand, if categorized as "eliminating terrorism" the accountability exercise would be defined by Domestic Law Enforcement where provisions of Human Rights Law apply. Thus, categorizing it as one or the other or a combination of both has a direct bearing on the nature and scope of investigations into issues of accountability

Contemporary IHL challenges: Use of force and non-international armed conflicts


International Committee of the Red CrossJanuary 02, 2014 BY  ANNA NELSON

The ICRC recently published a new report on the "Use of Force in Armed Conflicts". The outcome of an Expert Meeting held in Switzerland, the report Examines the Interplay between the conduct of hostilities and Law Enforcement paradigms, particularly in non-International armed Conflicts (NIACs). We were very fortunate to have a number of American experts From both the government and academic circles participate in the meeting, including Brigadier General Richard Gross (Legal Counsel to the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff), Richard Jackson (Special Assistant for Law of War Matters, US Army), Professor Robert Chesney (University of Texas School of Law), and Professor Robert Goldman (American University Washington College of Law). In addition, Colonel Kirby Abbott of Canada (Deputy Judge Advocate General, Strategic, Canadian Armed Forces) also took Part. The report is of particular interest in that it not only addresses the interplay between international humanitarian law (IHL) and international human rights law (IHRL) from a conceptual perspective, but it also focuses on concrete case studies that reflect real-life situations arising in Conflicts armed. In particular, riots, the Fight against criminality, Escape Attempts allowed, and checkpoint Management. The ICRC hopes to organize a Panel discussion On these issues in 2014. (More to follow in the coming weeks On this.) Until Then, Click here to Print Download or order a copy of the report. 

Jayalalithaa's Incredible TenacityJayalalithaa's Incredible Tenacity

Colombo TelegraphBy  Usha S Sri-Skanda-Rajah  - February 25, 2014 |
Usha S Sri-Skanda-Rajah
Usha S Sri-Skanda-Rajah
Today 24, February is Jayalalithaa 's 66th Birthday and she is pretty Sitting. Incredible woman that she is, she has just now said she will "counter in court" the action, by the Congress dominated Centre, to move the Indian Supreme Court for a restraining order, questioning the legality of her decision to release the 7 imprisoned for Rajiv 's killing. As a result the decision to release has been held in abeyance; the Centre also disputing the powers of the Tamil Nadu State and her authority.  
No doubt the lady is not for turning.
Win or lose in court on the release of the 7, Jayalalithaa has endeared herself to most Tamils ​​all over the world by her decision. The Hindustan opinion poll shows more than 81% approval for her decision. As always her incredible tenacity comes through in her every action and is to be admired. When better to acknowledge this fact than on her Birthday!
It's Jayalalithaa's same incredible tenacity on all Eelam issues that needs also to be acknowledged; it is hoped this same tenacity shown by her for Eelam, gets rubbed on to other leaders as well.
Transnational Government of Tamil Eelam and that is what the ( TGTE ) When IT has Wants "All political parties urged to include Sri Lankan Tamil issues in Their election Manifesto."
In the Matter of consistency, I have to även with Congress bigwig and Union Minister, Anand Sharma 's allegations that Jaya has "changed her Stand On the LTTE , "Because of her decision to release the 7. It was a futile attempt to discredit her. Sharma has got it wrong; as someone studying her moves for a while, her position on what she perceived as LTTE violence has never changed; she had natural reservations, never wanting to support violence; always condemning Rajiv's killing allegedly linked to the LTTE. Yet she listened and that is an asset for a politician, she did not want to identify with the LTTE but was sensitive to the plight of Eelam Tamils ​​and over time realized that Tamil Eelam was justified and Eelam Tamils ​​had to be liberated from a far greater threat, that of Sri Lankan state violence, oppression and persecution.                                  Read More

Democratisation and Accountability have to go hand in hand in Sri Lanka





EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
  - Sri Lanka briefing Note no 08 ---
Monday, February 24, 2014

Monday, February 24, 2014


Add caption
Addressing the issues of Accountability, Reconciliation and Rule of Law are of pivotal importance to any post-war society. War leaves behind the matters of justice, equality and de-militarisation to be grappled with. Sri Lanka is no exception. This is more so when conflict remains, even after the war comes to an end, as in Sri Lanka today.
Almost five years after the end of a three-decade war, Sri Lanka still has not been able to address these issues. Local and international calls for a credible and independent investigation into allegations of serious violations of international human rights and humanitarian law that took place during the last phase of the war has not seen any positive response.

Why the Government of Sri Lanka fails internationally

Groundviews

The Making Of Our Political Future Via Local GovernmentThe Making Of Our Political Future Via Local Government

By  Fernando Ray - February 25, 2014 
Colombo TelegraphThe Making Of Our Political Future Via Local GovernmentThe Southern & Western provincial council elections, scheduled to take place at the end of next month, has certainly not gone unnoticed as many budding politicos and their parties have taken both to the streets and through all forms of media like a storm.
mals
There are few candidates of this calibre who come to mind. Malsha Kumaranatunga, a WPC candidate from the UPFA, Tharaka Nanayakkara, SPC candidate from the UNP; to a lesser known extent, Isuru Dodangoda, another candidate contesting the SPC elections from the UPFA however he is yet to publicly loy out a clear cut political strategy . - File photo - Malsha with President's son and his ex-girlfriend
Provincial council (PC) elections, and the PC in general, have received damning press over the recent years with local councillors being accused of wide scale corruption, nepotism, threats, intimidation, rape, drug running and even the murder of local citizens as well as foreign holiday-makers. These heinous crimes allegedly committed either by the local councillors themselves or their crony supporters have left a scar in the minds of our whole population. A general feeling of dejection and hopelessness with the political system is rife throughout the masses. However this could be a very good omen When selecting dejection Future IT comes to political candidates.                 Read More

Sri Lanka Rejects Call Pillay's "An International Inquiry Mechanism To establish" Sri Lanka Rejects Call Pillay's "An International Inquiry Mechanism To establish"

Ravinatha Aryasinha - Ambassador Geneva
Ravinatha Aryasinha - Ambassador Geneva
Colombo TelegraphFebruary 25, 2014
The Government of Sri Lanka (GOSL) has rejected the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights by Call Navnanethem Pillay 's "to establish an International inquiry mechanism to further investigate the alleged violations of IHRL and IHL and monitor any process domestic Accountability in Sri Lanka" , saying "it gives scant or no regard to the domestic processes ongoing in Sri Lanka within the framework of the LLRC NPOA, and is politicized in premise". The government said, the trajectory that has emerged with regard to the recommendation of the High Commissioner "reflects the preconceived, politicized and prejudicial agenda which she has relentlessly pursued with regard to Sri Lanka", since just a week following the defeat of terrorism in Sri Lanka, On May 26, 2009 at the 11th Special Session of the UNHRC On Sri Lanka, and at subsequent Sessions and reports. IT is noted that the reference in the current report that "the High Commissioner Remains Convinced" for an "independent, International inquiry" demonstrates her persistent Efforts against Sri Lanka . Sri Lanka said, "it is pertinent to question the factual basis for the High Commissioner's initial formal call to the HRC for an independent, international investigation in May 2009 and its continuation, in order that the international community not be misled".   
                                       Read More

Journalists screen 'No Fire Zone' in Chennai, defying banJournalists screen 'No Fire Zone' in Chennai, defying ban
 24 February 2014


The Journalist Association for Social Change and Tamil Youths & Students Federation held a screening of the documentary 'No Fire Zone: Sri Lanka's Killing Fields', after the film was banned for theatrical release by Indian authorities for fear it may "strain relations" with Sri Lanka.
Over 300 Students, Journalists and youth activists attended the screening in Chennai.
Speaking to the Tamil Guardian, One of the Organisers said,
"This is the first step we have started, and we are going to educate the rural and village people about the genocide happened in Sri Lanka with the help of this video. We will screen the video every possible places and we will spread the awareness to the Tamil Nadu people. "
Addressing the crowd via Skype, film director Callum Macrae spoke on issues such as the need for an international investigation, noting that justice cannot be expected from Sri Lankan courts. He went on to stress that the war against the Tamil people was still continuing on the ground.
Tamil Nadu journalist Maga Tamizh Prabhagaran also spoke to the Tamil Guardian about the ban placed on 'No Fire Zone', stating,
"The footage of the 2009 war shocked communities around the world and struck fear into those who helped in the bloody war against Eelam Tamils."
He went on to add,
"Still Sri Lanka is conducting a war in the name of peace and continuing a structural genocide, grabbing the lands of Tamils. India encourages this brutality, giving funds in the name of" resettlement ". From the IPKF period until now, India's policy has always been totally against the Tamil people. "
"These policies and their part in the war in 2009 has led to them banning 'No Fire Zone'."
"They say this is because it may strain 'friendly relations' with Sri Lanka. I want to ask where these' friendly relations were when Sri Lanka continues to kill over 700 Tamil Nadu fishermen?"
Why India has banned a film about Lankan killings but permitted another to which Bangladesh has objected

Sri Lanka's northern house-funding gap

Thousands remain without housing
Colombo, 25 February 2014 (IRIN) - More than U.S. $ 300 million is needed for the Construction of over 60,000 new Homes in Sri Lanka's conflict-affected North, say Aid officials.  

More bodies found in Sri Lanka's mass grave

Latest News
More bodies found in Sri Lanka's mass grave
(Representational Image)
Colombo:  Forensic experts have found more bodies in an unmarked mass grave in Sri Lanka's northern former war zone, taking the total number to 80, an official said on Tuesday. 

Judicial medical officer Dhananjaya Waidyaratne said excavations resumed on Monday after a short break at the grave site discovered by construction workers in December.

The grave is the first uncovered in the former war zone since  troops defeated Tamil rebels nearly five years ago following a decades-long conflict for a separate homeland for ethnic minority Tamils. 

"We found more skeletons yesterday and the figure now stands at 80," Mr Waidyaratne told reporters, up from a previously released figure of 36. "We have submitted the evidence to (the) courts," he added.

He said further tests were needed to establish how and when the people died but officials have previously said that women and children were among those buried. 

The government sought to head off concerns that Sri Lankan soldiers could have been involved in the grave, saying the Mannar area had long been a Tamil rebel stronghold.

"It has been revealed that the area had been occupied by the LTTE (Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam) for 30 years," till security forces wrested control over the area in 2008, the government said.

"The matter is under investigation," the government said in a statement to the United Nations Human Rights Council (UNHRC) in Geneva last week and released to reporters in Colombo on Tuesday.

It added that Indian troops deployed on an abortive peace-keeping mission in Sri Lanka between 1987 and 1990 also briefly had control over the coastal Mannar region.

Police have not yet been able to identify the remains. But the Roman Catholic Bishop of Mannar, Rayappu Joseph, said last month that the victims could be members of the local Tamil community.

Mannar has a large concentration of Tamils, and was the scene of many battles between troops and Tamil rebels during the island's 37-year-old separatist war which ended in May 2009.

The UN estimates the war claimed at least 100,000 lives.

Last year, construction workers stumbled on another mass grave in central Sri Lanka, hundreds of kilometres (miles) from the conflict zone. 

At least 154 people were found in that grave in Matale district, the scene of an anti-government uprising between 1987 and 1990 unrelated to the Tamil separatist conflict.

Remains from that grave have been sent to China for further tests.

Sri Lanka Blocks Websites And The President Lies On Twitter

Sri Lanka Blocks Websites And The President Lies On Twitter

February 25, 2014 
The Telecom Regulatory Commission has officially issued instructions to mobile service providers to block Colombo Telegraph and other critical websites on its servers last week.
    Colombo Telegraph
  1. Today Sri Lanka's President Mahinda Rajapaksa tweeted that "as a government which is always promoting information and communication technology they have no intention to block social websites/Media." We publish below the story of Colombo Telegraph's blockade with the technical reports.
  2. තොරතුරු හා සන්නිවේදන තාක්‍ෂණය ප්‍රචලිත කිරීමට හැමවිටම ක්‍රියාකරන ආණ්ඩුවක් ලෙස මේ රටේ සමාජ වෙබ් අඩවි/මාධ්‍ය තහනම් කිරීමට අපේ අදහසක් නෑ-MR.2/4
                                                                                                    Read More

Resign Now, UNP Tells Police Spokesman


Colombo TelegraphFebruary 25, 2014 
The main opposition United National Party has called for the resignation of the Police Spokesman, after he made several inappropriate remarks about the selection of the party’s election candidates, one of whom was arrested on charges of robbery recently.
Ajith Rohana
Ajith Rohana
In a statement issued today the UNP said SSP Ajith Rohana‘s comments about the party’s candidates indicated that he was playing politics in the guise of official duty.
The UNP said Rohana’s conduct was inappropriate and a violation of the code governing the conduct of government servants.
“SSP Rohana appears to have forgotten that he is the Police Spokesman and not the spokesman for the Sri Lanka Freedom Party,” the UNP charged in a statement after the official criticised the party’s choice of candidates following the arrest of UNP candidate for the Western PC polls was arrested on suspicion of being involved in a major theft.
The UNP has reiterated the need to act impartially inRoyce Fernando’s case and not attempt to seek political mileage through the process, the party said.
“However the Police Spokesman is now attempting to give the Government and the UPFA an advantage by making statements about the issue,” the statement said.
The statement said that the Police Spokesman’s remarks cast serious doubts and suspicions about the way in which the legal proceedings into Fernando’s case would be conducted.
It said Rohana had no moral, ethical or legal standing to remain in the position of Police Spokesman any further.