Before Attack Govt. Asked Muslim Ministers To Shut Mosque Till After CHOGM
August 11, 2013
Details are now emerging of a top cop approaching two senior Muslim Ministers last afternoon (10 August) to request them to close the new makeshift mosque in Grandpass until after the end of the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting scheduled to take place in Colombo in November, Colombo Telegraph learns.
Western Province Senior DIG Anura Senanayeke had made the request although the motive of the senior police official is not clear.
Muslim Lawyers discussing the issue fear that it might be aimed at setting the stage for communal violence against the Muslim community once the summit is concluded.
DIG Senanayake, a close confidant of the upper echelons of the ruling regime has also telephoned several private media organisations, requesting them to provide adequate publicity to the activities of the Bodu Bala Sena movement.
Following several attacks on mosques in the country, the Bodu Bala Sena has always later denied their involvement.
It is also reported that despite objections raised by the Secretary to the Ministry of Difence Gotabaya Rajapaksa and the Bodu Bala Sena, Sinhala Ravaya and Ravana Balaya group, the Ministry of Religious Affairs has in writing issued permission to Muslim leaders to continue to use the new mosque building and prayer centre at Swarna Chaithya Road in Grandpass that was attacked last evening.Read More
Grandpass Muslim Prayer Centre Attacked, Armed Forces Deployed
August 10, 2013
Armed forces have been deployed in Grandpass after a well known masjid or Muslim prayer centre in the area
The area remains tense after a few houses were also attacked on the Swarna Chaitya road in Grandpass where the mosque is situated.
The attack took place soon after Maghrib or evening prayers, sources told Colombo Telegraph.
The Ravana Balaya group called for its relocation within one month. Security forces personnel have now been stationed around the mosque to assist the police to keep calm.
Update: Buddhist Monks Led Mob Attacked Muslim Prayer Centre: Bells In The Nearby Buddhist Temple Rang Out Before The Attack
August 10, 2013
Residents say the temple bells in the nearby Buddhist temple rang out before the Grandpass Muslim Prayer Centre attack took place this evening. The residents said the crowd of about 10 monks and at least 50 people gathered at the temple. Ravana Balaya has denied involvement in the attack and residents claim many of the monks were from the area temple.Upto five people injured including two policemen so far.
The Ravana Balaya group called for its relocation within one month. Security forces personnel have now been stationed around the mosque to assist the police to keep calm.
Related stories;
Update: Grandpass Muslim Prayer Centre Attack: Police Curfew Imposed
August 10, 2013 |
Related posts;

