Sri Lankan protesters find the cricket world gets spooky
Trevor Grant-January 8, 2013
As a journalist for 43 years in the jockstrap departments of
The Age and the
Herald Sun, I was rarely in touch with the realities of the world beyond the dressing room and press box.
About the only time in my sports writing career that I was ever spooked was at VFL Park, Waverley, when a naked Carl Ditterich, the then-balding, one-time blond bombshell of VFL football, chased me out of the Melbourne dressing room, shouting my name in a rather uncomplimentary manner.
But it was nothing compared with what happened last week in Sydney when I was part of a rally to protest against the Sri Lankan cricket team, which, I believe, is used to launder the blood-stained image of the Rajapaksa regime in Sri Lanka.
As I was peacefully going about my business, handing out leaflets to the crowd on the opening day of the Test match, I noticed a small, thin man of Sri Lankan or Indian appearance dressed in a dark suit, blue shirt and dark sunglasses, taking photographs of me.
I was curious because it was obvious he wasn't a press photographer. Not only because he was dressed so neatly, but because when I moved towards him, he ran away and tried to hide behind a large Moreton Bay fig tree in the park adjacent the Sydney Cricket Ground.
He then started taking very detailed, close-up shots of the words on placards that had been spread along the edges of the park. When I came towards him again, he raced away to his hiding spot, where I watched him skulk around in the shadows with another tall, well-built, bald man, also dressed in a dark suit and dark sunglasses.
A third man dressed in dark suit and tie also appeared, taking shots of us with an expensive-looking camera.
My Australian-Tamil friend, Kartheeban Arul, from the Sydney branch of the Tamil Youth Organisation, tells me that this is a regular occurrence whenever Tamils attend a protest in Australia that is directed at the Sri Lankan government. He says the Tamil community is convinced these men work for the Sri Lankan embassy. Their job is to provide identification of Tamil protesters, which is used by government security agents to harass friends and relatives back in Sri Lanka.
It was the second time in as many protests that I saw this stalking and intimidation.
When I started out on this new journey, I wasn't prepared to believe that I would become a target for the intelligence branch of a foreign government. It is spooky to know that a government that has been accused of horrific crimes against its own people, including the murder and disappearance of 39 journalists in the past eight years, now has me in their sights.
A few days after I wrote an opinion piece in this newspaper last month, a column that argued for a boycott of the Sri Lankan cricket team by the Australian government and Cricket Australia, a man claiming to be a ''concerned citizen'' rang me on my mobile phone.
He said I had grossly misrepresented Sri Lanka and the government treatment of the Tamils. He said it was obvious I was being seduced by terrorists. He wanted to meet me to explain the error of my ways.
I met him for a coffee and he spoke at length to me about the wonderful place Sri Lanka had become since President Rajapaksa had killed off the Tamil Tigers (LTTE) and ended the civil war. He offered to arrange a trip for me to see all this peace and serenity for myself.
He seemed more knowledgeable about the Sri Lankan government than the average ''concerned citizen''. I didn't have to guess any more about his links when he produced from a wad of papers a document headed: ''English translation of the document recovered from a LTTE hideout in Wanni by security forces during humanitarian operations''.
It purported to be a document showing that a prominent Tamil activist in Australia was a member of the Tamil Tigers. I have spoken to the person whose full personal details are contained in the document. The person claims it is a fraud.
This world of spooks is something I thought was exaggerated by media influenced by too many James Bond movies. Now I know it is reality, and I wonder why our government allows it.
I recently sent a letter to Foreign Minister Bob Carr asking whether he thought it was appropriate for officials from a foreign embassy to photograph Australian citizens in this manner, and other questions.
Until I get some answers I will believe that life beyond the uncomplicated world of sport is too spooky by half.
Trevor Grant is a former chief cricket writer at The Age, and now works with Boycott Sri Lanka Cricket Campaign and Refugee Action Collective.
Rajapaksa men stalk Australian protesters

Saturday, 05 January 2013
Melbourne,
Friday – Sri Lankan Government operatives have been intimidating
peaceful protesters at Test cricket matches in Melbourne and Sydney,
according to the BSLCC.
Boycott
Sri Lanka Cricket Campaign (BSLCC) organiser, Trevor Grant, said today
that Sri Lankan men armed with cameras and video equipment had been
stalking and filming people while they protested at the MCG and SCG in
the past two weeks.
“I
was walking along Moore Park Road in Sydney by myself after handing out
leaflets outside the SCG when I noticed a Sri Lankan man from about 50
metres away in the park taking photographs of me. I went towards him and
he ran away to try to hide behind a big tree,” Grant said.
“I
also saw him taking close up photographs of protest signs. I went to
approach him again but he kept moving away and seeking shelter behind
the tree in the park.
“He
had another taller, well-built Sri Lankan man with him. They were also
lurking in the distance taking video film of other protesters, including
the group of Tamils there.
“
They were both well-dressed and obviously collecting evidence for their
Government. There is no way they were press members because they
wouldn’t identify themselves when I approached, preferring to skulk in
the shadows of the big trees.
Grant
said that when one of the Tamil-Australians in the crowd saw them away
in the distance he yelled out to them: “Stop hiding and come and take my
picture, I’m not afraid of you guys,” Grant said.
Tamil
Youth Organisation spokesman Kartheeban Arul said it was a well-known
tactic of the Rajapaksa regime to collect evidence of people who protest
against his government and then use it in various ways to intimidate
people.
“They
are usually from the embassy and they do it all the time. They send the
film back to Sri Lankan intelligence and then they will harass and even
jail and torture relatives of the protesters,” he said. “But the Tamil
people are determined not to be intimidated. We are protesting to tell
the world about this ruthless, murderous regime and by doing this sort
of thing they are doing our job for us.
“It
seems a bit of a contradiction, though, that people acting on behalf of
a brutal dictator are allowed to intimidate and stalk Australian
citizens under the noses of Australian police who are there monitoring
very closely the movements of our peaceful protests.”
Grant
said that when they kept filming him he went towards them again to try
to take pictures of them. “I yelled to the guy ‘How would you like this
sent back to police and have your relatives put in jail? He replied to
me: ‘No worry. My relatives are all here now,’,” Grant said.
The
stalking tactics were also employed at the Boxing Day Test match in
Melbourne. Two Sri Lankan men were filming the protests, one a stills
photographer who admitted he was working for the Sri Lankan embassy and
another with a video camera on a tripod who was dressed immaculately in a
finely-cut suit and tie.
A
Tamil-Australian protester approached the stills photographer and
objected to what he was doing on behalf of the Sri Lankan Government.
The photographer said: “I’m just doing a job. I really understand what
you people have been through.”
Grant
said these tactics were straight out of the Rajapaksa regime’s handbook
but the group had been buoyed by the very positive reaction to the
protests so far and would not be deterred.
“We
live in a democracy and you are entitled to take photos and film people
in a public place but this is clearly intimidation and there are laws
against such things,” Grant said.
“The
protests so far against the touring Sri Lankan cricket team have been
very well-received. This team is being used to launder the image of a
vicious regime. We will be continuing the rallies during the one-day and
20/20 series up until the end of January.
”Why
would we stop when 66 per cent of readers in a Melbourne newspaper poll
agreed that Sri Lanka should be banned from world cricket? ”
For further information contact Boycott Sri Lanka Cricket Campaign (BSLCC) – Trevor Grant (0400 597 351).