Peace for the World

Peace for the World
First democratic leader of Justice the Godfather of the Sri Lankan Tamil Struggle: Honourable Samuel James Veluppillai Chelvanayakam

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

nationalpost      May 14, 2012
Facebook
Ramanan Mylvaganam has been sentenced to time served after pleading guilty to a single count of conspiracy to provide material support to a foreign terrorist organization.
A U.S. federal judge has sentenced a Canadian to “time served” for his role in a plot to equip Sri Lanka’s Tamil Tiger rebels, setting the stage for his return to Toronto in the coming weeks.
The sentence was handed down Monday in U.S. District Court, said Robert Nardoza, spokesman for the U.S. Attorney’s Office in Brooklyn, N.Y., where Ramanan Mylvaganam had been detained since 2009.
Mylvaganam, 35, was arrested in Ontario in 2006 and extradited to Brooklyn, where he was wanted for conspiracy to provide material support to a foreign terrorist organization. He pleaded guilty Feb. 8.
“They’re going to let him go in about a couple of weeks,” said his brother, Ragavan Kathiravetpillai.
“We’re so happy, we just can’t believe it. We didn’t know what was going to happen and this is just great news.”
U.S. prosecutors had sought a 15-year prison term for Mylvaganam, arguing he committed “a gravely serious offence” by conspiring with co-accused Suresh Sriskandarajah to procure equipment for the Tamil rebels.
But the defence successfully appealed for time served on the grounds the Sri Lankan civil war at the heart of the case was over and the crime was an “isolated transgression” by a defendant with an otherwise clean record.   Full Story>>>>

Ublic mourning must be permitted to take place in the north


Monday, 14 May 2012 

The third anniversary of the end of the war will be celebrated in the coming week. In the past two years this has taken place with victory parades and with public commemorations of war heroes by the Government although many people would say it was not appropriate after a civil war when citizens of the country were killed in large numbers. It is also necessary to remember that the government is being accused of war crimes and violations of humanitarian laws.
After the Second World \War the Allied countries that won the war celebrated their victory. But the Germans who mourned the loss of their loved ones were not allowed to mourn in public. However, later on such mourning was permitted even in public. For the German people who suffered so much loss, their mourning could finally be made in public. This was a lesson that was learned nearly seventy years ago.
In the past two years memorial services conducted by the people of the North have been viewed with suspicion and even been prevented by governmental authorities due to the perception that such memorial services are meant for the LTTE. On this occasion too there is apprehension amongst the people of the North that they will be unable to have memorial services for their loved ones due to this suspicion.
Civil society groups in the North report that government authorities have indicated to them that the past should not be re-visited for the purpose of mourning and that the focus should be on the future. This may account for the restrictions placed on trauma counseling and sharing of memories by communities. However, people who have suffered and lost so much in the past need to go through the process of remembering and grieving in order to become healed personalities.
The mourning and remembering of lost ones in the month of May is an important and indispensable part of the process of coming to terms with the past. If this part of the healing process is blocked there can be no moving forward to the future and to reconciliation that transcends the past. The National Peace Council calls upon the government to permit all public mourning and remembrance activities in the North so that the deepest sentiments of the people are respected as was allowed belatedly by the Allies for the German people.
We note that the Lessons Learnt and Reconciliation Commission appointed by the government in its Recommendation No: 9.285 stated as follows:
"The Commission strongly recommends that a separate event be set apart on the National Day to express solidarity and empathy with all victims of the tragic conflict and pledge our collective commitment to ensure that there should never be such blood letting in the country again. Based on testimonials it received the Commission feels that this commemorative gesture, on such a solemn occasion, and at a high political level will provide the necessary impetus to the reconciliation process the nation as a whole is not poised to undertake."
One practical way of expressing solidarity and empathy with all victims of the tragic conflict that would contribute to a reconciliation process is also to enable public mourning to take place.

Mannar Bishop Grilled On Disappearances


Tuesday, May 15, 2012

By Raisa Wickrematunge
Mannar Bishop Rev. Rayappu Joseph has been questioned by the police on his statement to the Lessons Learnt and Reconciliation Commission (LLRC) regarding disappearances.
The Bishop was among several people, including government officials, who had given statements to the LLRC during its public sittings. Bishop Joseph said that police officers had visited his office in Mannar last Tuesday after seeking a prior appointment.
They had sought clarification on to how he had arrived at the figure of disappeared people, which he had placed at around 146,000 in a submission to the LLRC.
When asked the reasons for their visit, the officers had said it was possible their superiors were concerned as to whether the Bishop had been provided these figures through external organizations such as INGOs.
However, Bishop Joseph said he had arrived at the number by examining reports by various Government Agents, particularly those of Mullaitivu and Kilinochchi.
He had also drawn information from the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (UNOCHA).
The Bishop of Anuradhapura Norbert Andradi had also been present when the meeting took place, he added.  The LLRC meanwhile said that there was no witness protection for people who came forward to give statements during the Commission hearings.
A Commission member who wished to remain anonymous said that anyone who came forward to give a statement could have asked for their names to be omitted from the documents. “On a rare occasion the witness could have requested protection from the Commission which in turn would have consulted with the Attorney General and decided on appropriate action,” the Commission member said.
When The Sunday Leader contacted Inspector General of Police, N. K. Illangkoon, he stated that he was unaware that the Bishop of Mannar had been questioned by the police and asked the newspaper to contact the police spokesman regarding this.
The police spokesman SP Ajith Rohana confirmed that officers from the Criminal Investigations Department had indeed visited the Bishop and questioned him.

Mano writes to rehabilitation minister Chandrasiri Gajadeera on three rehabilitated youths gone missing



( May 15, 2012, Colombo, Sri Lanka Guardian) “Some of the 1,800 rehabilitated youths supposed to have been released on September 30th last year at the state function held at Temple Trees have not reached home. Contrary to claims of the government, family members of the three youths say that they were not invited to the ceremony nor their detainee sons were handed over to them. Kindly look into the matter and let me know the whereabouts of the youths whose name details I am sending herewith.

Said civil monitoring commission convener and DPF leader Mano Ganesan in a urgent letter sent to Minister of Rehabilitation and Prison Reforms Chandrasiri Gajadeera. The letter further says,

Government information department described the function as the ‘demonstrative event of the government’s good and genuine intentions in addressing the issue of the detainees’. US ambassador Patricia A. Butenis, Indian HC Ashok Ashok K Kantha and former Australian HC Kathy Klugman with other dignitaries participated in the high profile ceremony and were seen on stage issuing skills certificates to certain youths.

The state officials said that a delay in readiness of issuing certificates prevented the youths joining the parents the same day, but it would occur in a matter of days. But now it is more than seven months now but the youths have not reached homes as pledged.

I am referring to three youths whose families have approached me seeking my assistance in tracing Kerbert Morino Leon Roxy, Savarimutththu Anton Hudson Lorantine and Murugesu Muruganandan. These youths seated in the assembly seen in the photos published in the media.

These youths, according to the parents, were forcefully abducted by LTTE and they managed to escape and surrendered to the security forces in Mannar in year 2008. The parents have not seen them since then. Therefore they have gone missing for the last five years. Please help me to address this issue.

British Tamil Conservatives: Rajapaksa’s visit would tarnish Queen’s six decade reign


Posted by Karthiyayini on May 15, 2012
TruthDive
London, May 15 (TruthDive): Britain gears up for four-day long celebrations from June 2-5 to mark the remarkable 60 years of Queen Elizabeth II’s reign.
On this momentous occasion, Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapaksa, the commander-in-chief of the war-crimes has been invited to take part in the Diamond Jubilee celebrations of the British Monarch Queen Elizabeth.
The British Tamils for Conservatives (BTC), committed to bring awareness of the predicament of the Tamils in Sri Lanka within the Conservative party and also seek justice, peace and self-esteem for the Tamil community in Sri Lanka, has however put across its unhappiness about the news.
Arujuna Sivananthan of the British Tamils for Conservatives has expressed their feelings that Her Majesty has led an exemplary life binding together various communities not just in the United Kingdom but the world. He opined that as Conservatives committed to the principle of individual liberty, they do not wish the celebration of her six-decade reign be tarnished by the presence of individuals alleged to have committed war crimes and crimes against humanity.
Mr. Sivananthan further communicated that all British Tamils and all those worried about humanity should get in touch with their MPs without any delay and let them know of their feelings in certain terms on this issue.
Mahinda Rajapaksa had last visited Britain in 2010, aggravating considerable protests from the Eelam Tamils in the United Kingdom who blamed him of war crimes and thousands of killings during the ethnic conflict with Tamil rebels. By then, his planned address at the Oxford Union was also called off due to the greater magnitude of protests.
On a four-day visit, Mahinda Rajapaksa would as per programme leave for Britain on the 3rd of June and is expected to engage in talks with the officials of the British government during his stay. But, official sources of the British High Commission in Colombo say that high-level official talks are not yet confirmed as it does not happen to be a State visit.

Radaliyagoda slips away from police again


Monday, 14 May 2012

Journalist of the ITN, Sudharman Radaliyagoda, who is currently on a warrant to be arrested and another person had met with DIG I.M. Karunaratne who is in-charge of the Western and Northern Range of the Colombo Division on the 12th around 10.20 a.m. and had been engaged in a lengthy discussion.
After the lengthy discussion, DIG I.M. Karunaratne had summoned IP R.S.D. Karunaratne who is in-charge of the Special Crimes Investigations Division (SCID) at the Mirihana Police and directed him not to arrest Radaliyagoda under any circumstance.
The head of the SCID had explained about warrant that has been issued on Radaliyagoda. He had said if the police fail to present an acceptable reason to the failure to arrest Radaliyagoda before the next court date; the Kaduwela Magistrate would take stern action against the issue.
The DIG had then said that he would handle the Kaduwela Magistrate and ensure there would not be any problem from her. The DIG had then dismissed the head of the SCID and continued his conversation with Radaliyagoda and his friend.
According to policemen at the Mirihana Police, DIG I.M. Karunaratne had directed the SCID not to arrest Radaliyagoda since he is in the process of getting a land on Pagoda Road, Nugegoda under the DIG’s name.
The friend who accompanied Radaliyagoda to meet the DIG is closely linked to a politician in the area and has been accused of racketeering with stolen goods. Various courts have issued open warrants on this person for allegedly keeping in his possession stolen goods. However, he has managed to refrain from getting arrested with the intervention of senior police officers.






Gas leak at factory: 18 hospitalised
Eighteen persons were hospitalized after a gas leak at a factory in Dankotuwa, the Police spokesman confirms. The leak had taken place at approximately 12.15pm in Bibilawatta, Dankotuwa.

Among the hospitalized were 17 women and one man. The cause for the leak has not yet been ascertained.


UNP doubts whether Govt. is genuine

Tuesday, 15th May 2012


The United National Party (UNP) said today there were questions whether the Government was genuine about Monday’s bilateral talks with the UNP though there was the possibility of a broad dialogue with all opposition political parties to resolve the national issue.
UNP General Secretary Tissa Attanayake told journalists that even in past the UNP has had bitter experiences when it held talks with the government. 
He said the country would face further problems if the government was not genuine in what it did and thereby allowed history to repeat itself. “Sri Lanka will definitely fall into difficulty if the government does not make a genuine effort to resolve the national question because the international community is keeping an eye on the country now more than ever before,” Mr. Attanayake said.
He did not rule out the possibility when asked whether Monday’s talk was the result of pressure by the international community. During discussion with President Mahinda Rajapaksa, the UNP had requested that there be a broad dialogue with all opposition parties including the Tamil National Alliance (TNA) and the Janatha Vimukthi Peramuna (JVP) to be involved in the search for a political solution.
Mr. Attanayake said the UNP had stressed the need for the government to create a suitable climate for all political parties to participate in the Parliamentary Select Committee (PSC). (Yohan Perera)

Monday, May 14, 2012


LogoThank you Mr. Deputy Speaker, for the opportunity given to me to speak on this Adjournment Motion moved by the Hon. Member for Kandy District. Before I get on to what I wish to state, I’d like to deal with some very interesting matters that the Hon. Acting Minister for Media just stated to this House. He said that this Motion and the Motion to implement the recommendations of the LLRC are nothing but the agenda of the Tamil Diaspora. I wonder how kindly His Excellency will take this comment having appointed the Lessons Learnt and Reconciliation Commission? Is the Hon. Minister suggesting that His Excellency the President was acting according to the agenda of the Tamil Diaspora in appointing the LLRC?

He further stated that media freedom in this country is like that horse that was tethered and walked round and round, and even after its release keeps walking round and round. That is concession by the Minister himself that there is self imposed censorship out of fear; that they are being kept within the bounds; and even if one can’t see the rope, the horse knows that it dare not move outside that circle. Even the private media today knows only too well what is good for their health. That message has been clearly delivered by the Government and today by the Hon. Minister himself in this House. The Motion identifies two matters. There is recommendation that rules and regulations must be formulated for the Freedom of Information, and secondly, that investigations must be initiated on serious violations of international laws and Human Rights. But the substantive part of the Motion is with regard to the appointment of independent commissions. Whilst I fully endorse that Motion to appoint independent commissions, I recognize that the Proposer and the Seconder have dealt with that adequately, and I wish to move on to the other matters that are mentioned in this Motion and some matters that are not mentioned in this Motion. Full Story>>>



Pen - ( A Poem)

by William Gomes
[ May 14, 2012, Hong Kong, Sri Lanka Guardian]

They want me to say what they want
They want me to write what they want
They want me to thought like them
They want to hold my PEN !

Who are they?
They are DOG
No, they are not
DOGS are faithful!
They are Elites!

Who are they?
They are liars!
They are slaves!
They don’t want to be free
They are enemies of freedom

Who are they?
They call them intellectuals
They get awarded for telling lies
They get awarded for killings the truths

Who are they?
They are the elites
They are everywhere!
They are in, first page to last page
They are in RED and BLACK
They want to defame me
They want to kill me
They want to make me silent
I will not stop!
My PEN will not stop!
Even on my death!
My sprit will speak up!

Who I am?
I am PEN
I am an ordinary man
I am free!
I think freely!
I write freely!
I am free !
You will find out among the poorest
You will find me in struggle for peace
You will find me in struggle for truth