Peace for the World

Peace for the World
First democratic leader of Justice the Godfather of the Sri Lankan Tamil Struggle: Honourable Samuel James Veluppillai Chelvanayakam

Friday, April 27, 2012


UN Admits Cluster Bombs in Sri Lanka, But Still Spin for Silva, Ban Silent


By Matthew Russell Lee
Inner City PressUNITED NATIONS, April 26 -- With news that the UN Development Program in Sri Lanka has found and confirmed via a leaked e-mail cluster sub-munitions, General Shavendra Silva as a UN Senior Adviser on Peacekeeping takes on aneven more sinister hue.
  As reported, Allan Poston, the technical adviser for UNDP's mine action group in Sri Lanka, wrote that "after reviewing additional photographs from the investigation teams, I have determined that there are cluster sub-munitions in the area where the children were collecting scrap metal and in the house where the accident [the death of a child] occurred. This is the first time that there has been confirmed unexploded sub-munitions found in Sri Lanka."
  Sri Lanka's Deputy Permanent Representative to the UN, Shavendra Silva, during this conflict commanded the 58th Division, depicted in Ban Ki-moon's report as engaged in war crimes. Now, cluster munition. Still, Ban Ki-moon's position remains that Silva being Ban's adviser is "up to member states."
  The Sri Lankan Ministry of Defense -- and Urban Development -- on the same day as the cluster bomb revelation breathlessly reported that all 54 nations in the Asia and Pacific Group support Silva's continued service. To Inner City Press' knowledge this was not true even prior to the cluster bomb confirmation, and should be even less true now.
  Earlier this month, the Permanent Representative of an Asia Group member told Inner City Press, of Silva,
"the gentleman's appearance is not welcome. They have chosen to escalate, sending public letters, casting doubt on Frechette's integrity. It becomes a big story, and member states in the end will say it's unacceptable... No one knew who Shavendra Silva was. Once you began to publish the stories, we came to know. If we had known from the beginning of course it would never have happened. If they continue to push it, there would be enough delegates in the Asia group to say 'enough.'"
Ban Ki-moon's acquiescence in accepting an alleged war criminal as his adviser becomes ever more troubling. Now Ban is on his way to Myanmar, where he and his adviser Vijay Nambiar have already given their full blessing to the still military dominated government, even as Kachin people weren't allowed to vote and face repression. What will Ban do? Watch this site.




SL refugee returns lower -UNHCR

FRIDAY, 27 APRIL 2012


The UNHCR said that the number of Sri Lankan refugees returning home has fallen in the first quarter of 2012 compared to the previous year and part of the reason could be the suspension of the Colombo-Tuticorin ferry service from India.

Latest UNHCR statistics show that some 408 individuals voluntarily returned to Sri Lanka with UNHCR’s help during the first three months of this year, nearly a third less than the same period last year when 597 refugees returned.

“It is difficult to say exactly why the numbers are lower, but part of the reason could be the suspension since October last year of the Colombo-Tuticorin ferry service from India. Refugees told us they preferred returning by sea as they could bring more of their household goods home with them,”  UNHCR’s Representative in Sri Lanka Michael Zwack said in a statement.

UNHCR stepped up its voluntary repatriation programme at the start of 2011, to support an increasing number of individuals who were returning home. However refugee returns slowed down towards the latter part of the year. A total of 1,728 Sri Lankan refugees returned under UNHCR’s facilitated voluntary repatriation programme in 2011.

Most refugees are returning from government-run camps in the South Indian state of Tamil Nadu. Small numbers have also returned from Malaysia, Georgia, Hong Kong and the Caribbean Island of St. Lucia.

UNHCR provides refugees returning home with a standard reintegration grant as a first step towards helping them restart their lives. Each individual is also provided with a modest transport grant to help them arrange their own transportation back to their villages. Once at their destination in Sri Lanka, these returnees can approach one of UNHCR's six offices, covering the north and east, and in Colombo to obtain a kit of basic household supplies.

Refugees are mainly returning to Trincomalee, Mannar and Vavuniya districts with smaller numbers returning to Jaffna, Kilinochchi, Batticaloa, Colombo, Ampara, Puttalam and Kandy. Sri Lankan refugees abroad who wish to return home can approach the closest UNHCR office in their country of asylum for more information.

According to the latest Indian government figures as of December 2011, there are 68,049 Sri Lankan refugees living in 112 camps in Tamil Nadu and another 32,467 living outside the camps. In total more than 141,000 Sri Lankan refugees are living in 65 countries.

Frontline

Nearly three years after the end of the 26-year civil war in Sri Lanka that reportedly left an estimated 80,000–100,000 dead, questions are still arising about alleged war crimes and how they will be addressed.
The Killing Fields, first broadcast by Channel 4 in June last year and a follow up aired this March called Sri Lanka’s Killing Fields: War Crimes Unpunished, have been significant in bringing evidence of executions, the shelling of civilians and other atrocities to light.
The Sri Lankan Ministry of Defence rejects the evidence, however, arguing that it has been falsified by Channel 4 and that the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE ) were responsible for a proportion of the civilian casualties. It also rejected calls from the UN-led investigation into alleged war crimes, opting for a locally-organised investigation, the Lessons Learnt and Reconciliation Commission (LLRC).
What action will the Sri Lankan government take in light of new footage and will it be forced address the issue of high-command responsibility? After the failing of the international community to prevent such atrocities, what role can they play in the future?
Join us at the Frontline Club to discuss the impact of Sri Lanka's Killing Fields and the situation today in Sri Lanka.
With:
Callum Macrae, journalist, filmmaker and Director of both Sri Lanka's Killing Fields and Sri Lanka’s Killing Fields: War Crimes Unpunished that documents evidence of alleged war crimes committed by the Sri Lankan Government.
Dr Chris Nonis, Sri Lanka High Commissioner to the United Kingdom.
Professor Rajiva Wijesinha MP, adviser to the President on Reconciliation.
Channel 4 News presenter, Jon Snow.
Additional panelists to be confirmed

Sri Lanka
 
MRG concerned about the attack and relocation of a mosque in Sri Lanka, calls on Sri Lankan government to take immediate action to protect religious freedoms


ReliefWeb  26 Apr 2012
Minority Rights Group International said on Tuesday that it was deeply concerned about the attack on a mosque by Buddhist mobs in Dambulla, in north Central Sri Lanka, and the subsequent decision by the country’s government to relocate the mosque.
On Friday 20 April, 2012, a group of up to 2000 Sinhala Buddhists, including members of the clergy, protested outside and attacked the mosque in Dambulla. The protesters, carrying Buddhist flags, shouted slogans and demonstrated outside the mosque, disrupting traditional Friday afternoon prayers.
Despite the police presence the protestors subsequently broke into the premises of the mosque and caused some damage to property, including a cupboard that houses copies of Islamic religious texts such as the Quran, MRG says.
According to MRG, a letter dated 22 April, 2012, from the office of the Prime Minister D.M. Jayaratne, orders the removal of the mosque from this area on the grounds that it is a Buddhist religious area. The letter asks for the mosque to be relocated to another area.
‘The Government of Sri Lanka should be protecting the right to religious freedom of all its people, including Muslims, rather than giving in to mob rule,’ Mark Lattimer, Executive Director of MRG says.
MRG says the attack on the mosque and proposed relocation of it on the grounds that the area is sacred to the majority Sinhalese Buddhist community is in clear violation of international laws on minority rights and religious freedoms.
According to MRG research, the mosque was built in 1963; Buddhists in the area claim that the mosque was built on temple land, but Muslims say it was build on the location of a shrine of a Muslim religious leader, which has existed for over 100 years.
The letter from the Prime Minister’s office says that the decision was taken in consultation with Muslim political leaders. But Muslim leaders, quoted in the media, denied that they were consulted on the issue.
After enquiring with local partners, MRG learnt that neither Muslim religious leaders nor the local community have been consulted. There are reports of attempts to also relocate a Hindu shrine from this same area.
MRG has for some time now warned that minority Tamils, Muslims and Christians are increasingly becoming targets of rising religious intolerance by some Sinhala Buddhist nationalist groups. This incident has not occurred in isolation. The following are a few examples from a list of incidents of recent attacks on places of religious worship highlighted in a statement by a group of concerned Sri Lankan citizens and civil society groups.
  • In 2011, an Islamic sufi shrine was destroyed by a mob of people, including Buddhist monks, in the north central town of Anuradhapura.
  • In Trincomalee, in Illangaithurai Muhathuwaram - renamed Lanka Patuna by the Sri Lankan government - a Hindu Shivan shrine was removed and a Buddhist statue was built in its place.
  • In the southern town of Kalutara, in 2011, a group of people, including Buddhist monks, attacked the four Square Gospel Church.
  • In 2012, the Assembly of God church was attacked in Ambalangoda, which is also in southern Sri Lanka.
‘Sri Lanka has recently come under a lot of international criticism for its human rights record and treatment of minorities. As the recent UN Human Rights Council resolution and Sri Lanka’s own Lessons Learnt and Reconciliation Commission (LLRC) report recognise, the country is at a critical stage of reconciliation three years after the end of the armed conflict,’ Lattimer says.
‘The government of Sri Lanka should take firm action to protect and promote the rights of all communities, not just that of the majority community. This is critical if there is to be proper reconciliation and long-term peace in the country.’
MRG calls on the Government of Sri Lanka to conduct a full, independent and impartial investigation into the attack on the mosque, immediately revoke the order to relocate the mosque, and facilitate discussions with Muslim and Buddhist political and religious leaders aimed at finding an amicable solution that is acceptable to both communities.

Thursday, April 26, 2012



Groundviews

Groundviews

Ravi Nessman from Associated Press has broken what’s perhaps the most important story on the war, since it ended three years ago. In a story published by AP a few hours ago, he notes,
The Associated Press obtained a copy Thursday of an email written by a U.N. land mine expert that said unexploded cluster bomblets were discovered in the Puthukudiyiruppu area of northern Sri Lanka, where a boy was killed last month and his sister injured as they tried to pry apart an explosive device they had found to sell for scrap metal.
The email was written by Allan Poston, the technical adviser for the U.N. Development Program’s mine action group in Sri Lanka.
“After reviewing additional photographs from the investigation teams, I have determined that there are cluster sub-munitions in the area where the children were collecting scrap metal and in the house where the accident occurred. This is the first time that there has been confirmed unexploded sub-munitions found in Sri Lanka” the email said.
Emphasis ours. The incident noted in Ravi’s copy was actually reported in the Tamil media on 6th March 2012.
The story on Sudar Oli, published on Page 7 notes,
An explosion in Killinochchi kills a boy: His sister sustains serious injuries
In the interview with CNN, Kohona explicitly notes to a question by the anchor, Monita Rajpal, whether the Sri Lankan Army is using cluster bombs,    Continue reading »

by RAVI NESSMAN


UN finds cluster bombs in Sri Lanka


Associated Press

( April 26, 2012, New Delhi, Sri anka Guardian)  A report from a U.N. mine removal expert says unexploded cluster munitions have been found in northern Sri Lanka, appearing to confirm, for the first time, that the weapons were used in that country's long civil war.

The revelation is likely to increase calls for an international investigation into possible war crimes stemming from the bloody final months of fighting in the quarter-century civil war that ended in May 2009. The government has repeatedly denied reports it used cluster munitions during the final months of fighting.

Cluster munitions are packed with small "bomblets" that scatter indiscriminately and often harm civilians. Those that fail to detonate often kill civilians long after fighting ends.

They are banned under an international treaty adopted by more than 60 nations that took effect in August 2010, after the Sri Lankan war. The nations that haven't adopted the treaty include Sri Lanka, China, Russia, India, Pakistan and the U.S., which says the bombs are a valid weapon of war when used properly.

The Associated Press obtained a copy Thursday of an email written by a U.N. land mine expert that said unexploded cluster bomblets were discovered in the Puthukudiyiruppu area of northern Sri Lanka, where a boy was killed last month and his sister injured as they tried to pry apart an explosive device they had found to sell for scrap metal.

The email was written by Allan Poston, the technical adviser for the U.N. Development Program's mine action group in Sri Lanka.

"After reviewing additional photographs from the investigation teams, I have determined that there are cluster sub-munitions in the area where the children were collecting scrap metal and in the house where the accident occurred. This is the first time that there has been confirmed unexploded sub-munitions found in Sri Lanka," the email said.

During the final weeks of the war, tens of thousands of civilians and Tamil Tiger rebel fighters were trapped in a tiny section of Puthukudiyiruppu as attacking government forces closed in on them.

Lakshman Hulugalla, a Sri Lankan government spokesman on security matters, said the military had not used cluster munitions in the war.

"We are denying that information," he said.

The U.N. did not immediately respond to an AP request for comment.

Poston's email, dated Tuesday, said mine clearers in Sri Lanka had not been prepared to deal with the bomblets, and are now relying on the experience of deminers who had worked in Lebanon, where Israel used cluster munitions in its 2006 war.

One deminer with experience in Lebanon was asked to clear the area and train other teams in how to handle the bomblets, according to the email. The local mine clearing office is adopting the Lebanon standards, and UNICEF was informed of the need to educate the local population about the dangers of the unexploded munitions, it said.

The army's demining unit also was informed of the discovery, the email said.

"Cluster sub-munitions are extremely dangerous items of (unexploded ordnance) and can explode with the slightest movement or touch," the email warned.

U.N. officials first reported the use of cluster munitions in the conflict zone in February 2009, saying they appeared to hit in an area around a hospital that was pounded by artillery fire for more than 16 hours. The government denied possessing the weapons and the U.N. said it accepted that denial.

A report last year by a U.N. panel of experts found credible allegations of war crimes by both Sri Lankan government forces and the rebels. The experts said there were unconfirmed reports the army had used cluster bombs against civilians in a No Fire Zone the government had set up.

Witnesses reported hearing large explosions followed by multiple small explosions that would be consistent with such munitions. The expert panel said some injuries were also consistent with cluster munitions, and called for further investigation of the issue.

A New York-based human rights group said it would have been disastrous to use such weapons among the hundreds of thousands of civilians crowded into the Sri Lankan war zone.

"If there is evidence that cluster weapons were used, it would show yet again, the government's constant attempts at deception and underscore our demand that there should be an independent international investigation into all allegations of laws-of-war violations," said Meenakshi Ganguly, South Asia director for Human Rights Watch.

The government has been under growing pressure to investigate possible war crimes, culminating last month in a resolution passed by the U.N. Human Rights Council urging a probe into allegations of summary executions, kidnappings and other abuses.

The war pitted ethnic Tamil rebels fighting for an independent state in northern Sri Lanka against a government dominated by the Sinhalese majority, which has marginalized minority Tamils for decades. The U.N. panel report said tens of thousands of civilians may have been killed in just the last few months of the war in the Indian Ocean island nation.

Medical students protest


THURSDAY, 26 APRIL 2012



Pictures show medical students from universities around the country together with the Medical Faculty Student Action Committee (MFSAC) staging a protest march from Colombo General Hospital to the Temple Trees to hand over a memorandum against the private medical institution in Malabe. The procession was stopped by police at the Kollupitiya junction. Pix by Samantha Perera