Journalist challenges Gotabaya's politics | ||||||||
A journalist has complained to the Commissioner of Elections on campaigning activities of Defence Secretary Gotabaya Rajapaksa. Ravaya journalist and activist Lasantha Ruhunage told BBC Sandeshaya that he informed the Election Commissioner against the Defence Secretary Gotabaya Rajapaksa who visited Slave Island – Colombo to support United Peoples Freedom Alliance (UPFA) mayoral candidate Milinda Moragoda on 3rd October. “Defence Secretary requested the people to assure the victory of Milinda Moragoda and later he addressed a campaign rally that supports UPFA candidates,” Ruhunage added. Misuse of Government assets Ruhunage who is the general secretary of the Sri Lanka working journalists association arguing that senior government officers do not have political rights claimed that Defence Secretary’s involvement in the municipal election campaign is a grave violation of the establishment code and a misuse of government assets.
The election meeting was reported by the local media including Sirasa TV. According to Daily News report on the 4th October, Gotabaya Rajapaksa assured the local community that they will not be evicted and told “nobody will be chased away from Colombo and everybody will be provided with a house with modern facilities”. Defence Secretary Gotabaya Rajapaksa who is the younger brother of the president is considered as a powerful figure within the government. “As a citizen I asked the Election Commissioner to investigate this matter and take necessary actions,” Ruhunage added. He demands the immediate attention of the Election Commissioner to this matter. | ||||||||
A Brief Colonial History Of Ceylon(SriLanka)
Search This Blog
Wednesday, October 5, 2011
Journalist challenges Gotabaya's politics
Sri Lanka: IMF demands currency devaluation
By Saman Gunadasa
5 October 2011
The International Monetary Fund (IMF) last month delayed the final two instalments of its loan to Sri Lanka, demanding the devaluation of the rupee. After the IMF postponed the instalments, worth $US400 million each, due in June and December, Koshy Mathai, the fund’s residential representative said no timetable had been fixed for the completion of its review.
The IMF warned the government that another foreign reserves crisis loomed if it did not heed the request for a “flexible exchange rate.” The fund also pressed for further fuel price hikes and higher domestic interest rates. Full Story>>>
SRI LANKA: Northern development faces $200m shortfall
COLOMBO, 5 October 2011 (IRIN) - The Joint Plan for Assistance (JPA) for Sri Lanka's war-torn Northern Province is facing a US$200 million shortfall, according to the UN.
Of the JPA's $289 million appeal, only $76.5 million, or 26 percent, has been received, the latest Joint Humanitarian and Early Recovery Update released on 27 September states.
Officials at the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) declined to comment in detail on how the funding shortfall would affect operations. But a mid-year assessment of the plan showed only 13 percent of humanitarian, 32 percent of urgent early recovery and 16 percent of early recovery requirements had been met.
UN officials indicated it was highly unlikely the full appeal would be met this year. Further constraints were avoided in May when Valerie Amos, UN Emergency Relief Coordinator, released $4.9 million to the priority sectors: food security, agriculture, protection, shelter, water and sanitation, nutrition and health. [ read more ]
Sri Lanka hiring hangmen as 800 sit on death row
(Reuters) - Sri Lanka wants to hire hangmen, a top government official said on Wednesday, after the country's only two executioners quit their jobs, leaving at least 800 convicts sitting on death row.
The death penalty has not been used in Sri Lanka, a predominantly Buddhist country, since 1976, though the government reinstated it in 2004 for rape, drug trafficking and murder.
"There are two vacancies for the hangman position after one person who held the position got a promotion, and the other retired," said Secretary of the Ministry of Rehabilitation and Prison Reforms, A. Desanayake.
"We are planing to advertise the vacancy calling for applications by next week as we cannot keep the position vacant."
At least 800 people convicted of murder and drugs offences could potentially be executed, Desanayake said. The president must sign off on any judicial execution.
Some activists, lawyers and politicians have been lobbying for the death penalty to be carried out, citing an increase in crime since a 25-year war against separatists ended in May 2009.
(Reporting by Ranga Sirilal; Writing by Shihar Aneez; Editing by Daniel Magnowski)
Karygiannis calls on Conservative Government to support revocation of Sri Lanka’s membership in Commonwealth
Thursday 29th September 2011.
Karygiannis calls on Conservative Government to support revocation of Sri Lanka’s membership in Commonwealth
OTTAWA - The Honourable Jim Karygiannis, Member of Parliament for Scarborough-Agincourt and Liberal Multiculturalism Critic, called on Canada’s Conservative Government to condemn the Sri Lankan government’s cover-up of war crimes by taking a leading role to ensure that Sri Lanka’s membership in the Commonwealth is revoked until it holds the perpetrators to account.
“In February 2009, the Sri Lankan government offered an amnesty, as the first step toward an inclusive political dialogue that would have contributed to a lasting peace. It then proceeded to brutally murder thousands of innocent refugees.” said Mr. Karygiannis. “It is time that the Sri Lankan government acknowledges that atrocities were committed in its name and brings the perpetrator to justice.”
Independent, international aid and humanitarian agencies have reported widespread abuses of human rights and summary killings during the last days of the Sri Lankan civil war. Since no independent journalists were permitted in the war zone, the only record of the crimes, such as the Channel 4 documentary
“Sri Lanka’s Killing Fields”, was smuggled out by the survivors.
“The evidence is irrefutable. There are scenes of Sri Lankan soldiers shooting bound and blindfolded people in the head.” Mr. Karygiannis stated. “The Sri Lankan government must ensure that these thugs are brought to justice and pay for their crimes.”
Investigator investigated
The criminal investigation department has been directed by the courts to investigative a bribery compliant made against a police officer who played a key role in probing charges against former army commander Sarath Fonseka in the ‘white flag case’ Inspector Anura de Silva who was the chief investigator in the white flag case was accused by Kamini Jayawardana, a resident of Jaeala, Colombo of requesting a bribe to resolve a land case in her favour. In an affidavit produced in court, Kamini Jayawardana said that Inspector Anura de Silva who visited her had said that if she is agreeable to give him a section of fifteen perches of the disputed land, that he will in return assist her on obtaining ownership of it. Inspector Anura de silva was previously acquitted from a torture case as the attorney general decided that there wasn’t sufficient evidence to proceed. In the case against General Sarath Fonseka widely known as the "white flag" case, the military chief is accused of spreading public disaffection by quoting allegations that the defence secretary ordered surrendering Tamil Tiger leaders to be shot dead at the last stages of the war. | |||||
"Sri Lanka's Killing Fields" to be screened at EU Parliament
"Commissioned and first aired by British broadcaster Channel 4 Television in June, "Sri Lanka's Killing Fields" features devastating video evidence of apparent war crimes, crimes against humanity committed by Sri Lanka Government forces and the LTTE, the invite said.
"The documentary provides powerful evidence - including photographic stills, official Sri Lankan army video footage and satellite imagery - that contradicts Sri Lanka Government claims of a policy of 'Zero Civilian Casualties.'
"It raises serious questions about the failures of the international community to intervene to prevent the deaths of upto 40,000 people," the communication from the NGOs said.
The film has lent new urgency to the call by the UN Secretary General's panel of experts for an internal investigation, the NGOs said.
External Links:
| Channel-4: | UN premiere for Sri Lanka war crimes film | |
| SL: | Lankan embassy in Oslo angry [at screening of Channel-4 video] | |
| Channel-4: | New York UN screening for Jon Snow's Sri Lanka film |
Tuesday, October 4, 2011
Dalai Lama cancels South Africa trip over visa
| Bangkok post |
About the author
- Writer: AFP News agency
- Position: Agence France-Presse
The Dalai Lama on Tuesday cancelled a trip to South Africa after Pretoria failed to grant him a visa, fuelling criticism that President Jacob Zuma's administration is appeasing China.
- Published: 4/10/2011 at 05:32 PM
- Newspaper section: news
The Dalai Lama attends a special prayer session at The Mahabodhi Temple in Bodhgaya in January. The Tibetan spiritual leader has cancelled a trip to South Africa after Pretoria failed to grant him a visa.
Anti-apartheid leader Desmond Tutu had invited the Tibetan spiritual leader, a fellow Nobel Peace Prize winner and longtime friend, to give an inaugural peace lecture as part of celebrations for Tutu's 80th birthday.
"His Holiness was to depart for South Africa on October 6, 2011 but visas have not been granted yet," said a statement from the Dalai Lama's office in India.
"We are, therefore, now convinced that for whatever reason or reasons, the South African government finds it inconvenient to issue visa to His Holiness the Dalai Lama," the statement said.
A spokesman for the Tibetan government-in-exile based in the northern Indian hill town of Dharamshala said Pretoria had acted out of fear of angering China.
"We are very disappointed that a sovereign nation like South Africa would succumb to Chinese pressure. It is a great pity," spokesman Thubten Samphel told AFP.
South Africa had previously denied the Dalai Lama a visa in 2009 and openly admitted it was acting out of deference to Beijing, which views the Tibetan leader as a "splittist".
The cancellation came after Tutu accused Zuma's government of foot-dragging over the visa application for the week-long trip.
"The only response to the letters received to date have been acknowledgements of receipt," said a statement by Tutu's office.
Zuma had said on Monday that he did not know if the Dalai Lama would be granted a visa, adding that the matter was in the hands of the country's international relations department.
Tutu's birthday celebrations will include a book launch on October 6 and a public church service followed by a picnic party on his actual birthday the next day.
The following day the Dalai Lama had been due to deliver Archbishop Tutu's 80th Birth Anniversary Inaugural Lecture.
China has always sought to curb the Dalai Lama's overseas travels, warning host governments that any visit would harm bilateral ties, especially if he was met by state officials.
"Wherever His Holiness goes, they make an attempt to block his visit," said Dalai Lama Spokesman Tempa Tsering.
Announcing the cancellation, the Dalai Lama's office said the Tibetan leader had no wish "to create any inconveniences to anyone, individuals or governments".
South African Deputy President Kgalema Motlanthe last week made a four-day visit to China, where he signed a series of trade deals but made no mention of the visa issue.
The Dalai Lama has lived in exile in India since 1959 when he fled an abortive uprising against Chinese rule in Tibet.
SLA encroaches 100 acres of farmland in Ki'linochchi
The occupying Sri Lanka Army in Vanni has forcibly taken over about one hundred acres of farmland situated between the villages Shanthapuram and Kanakaampikaik-ku'lam 5 km southeast of Ki'linochchi town. Earlier, the farmland was the livelihood of hundreds of people under a poverty alleviation scheme under the civil administration of the LTTE. A church and a well used by the residents of Shaanthapuram and Ira'naimaduk-ku'lam are also located in the land militarised by the occupying SL military. The SL military says it wants to exhibit military hardware seized from the Tigers in the farmland, which is situated near Ira'naimadu.
The SLA has fenced the seized land to confirm their possession.
The SLA soldiers who brought two tanks and three artillery guns that were seized from the LTTE to the lands and said the military was planning to exhibit military hardware of the Tigers in the land now being occupied from the civilians. Some families in the acquired lands are given alternative lands elsewhere.
Meanwhile a portion of land located east of Thiru-mu'rika'ndi village along A-9 highway is brought under “High Security Zone” by the SLA.
Residents of this area still remain as uprooted people in so-called welfare centres and with relatives and friends although they possess legal documents to prove their ownership of their lands in HSZ.
The SL authorities have refused to accommodate their requests to allow their resettlement in their legally owned lands.
However the setting up of SLA camps and destruction of coconut plantations and other food crops in the land are continuing, the uprooted people complained.
The Ira'naimadu tank is the largest irrigation scheme in the Northern province. The occupying military wishes to keep lands close to the dam under its permanent control, political observers in Vanni said.
Suspect dies in police custody
Dompe victim's parents seek justice
The parents of an alleged police torture victim have called upon Sri Lankan authorities to conduct a proper investigation into the death in order to prevent any such incidents in future. 29 year old Gayan Rasanga arrested by Dompe police on Thursday was found dead in custody on Friday morning. His funeral was held on Monday amidst heavy military presence. Security personnel were seen taking photographs of those attending the funeral, reports journalist Prasad Purnimal Jayamanne. Angry villagers who pelted stones at the police station and set fire to the police building and vehicles following his death forced the arrest of five policemen, including the Chief Inspector. Full Story>>> | |||||
Wikileaks- Eight GAs were ordered to send the result to President’s house – before sending them to EC
Colombo Telegraph
FILED UNDER ANTI CORRUPTION, AUTHORITARIANISM, DEMOCRACY, ELECTION MONITORING, FOREIGN AFFAIRS, MAHINDA RAJAPAKSE,PATRICIA A. BUTENIS, PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION 2010, SARATH FONSEKA, SRI LANKA
By Colombo Telegraph
“The president’s campaign had ordered eight GA’s including those in Ampara, Anuradhapura, Polonnaruwa and Batticaloa to send election results directly to the president’s house for his review before sending them to the Election Commissioner.” the US ambassador wrote to Washington.
The US ambassador Patricia A. Buttenis and USAID Mission Director met with about ten business representatives from the Chamber of Commerce and Industry in Ampara District and made a separate call on Ampara Government Agent Sunil Kannangara less than a week before the presidential election 2005.
The leaked cable classified as a “CONFIDENTIAL” by the ambassador Patricia A. Buttenis under the title of “ELECTIONS IN AMPARA: INTIMIDATION AND WEAK ALLEGIANSCES”.
“Business representatives reported that Iniya Barathy, Karuna’s second in command and Rajapaksa campaign coordinator, controlled 600 to 700 armed supporters and had created a climate of intimidation that precluded any expression of support for the opposition. On the other hand, support for Rajapaksa appeared weak” Ambassador Patricia further wrote.
Rajapaksa’s chief opinion pollster and close advisor Sunimal Fernando said to the US embassy in less than a week before the election, the President was doing very poorly in the East, mainly due to the corruption issue. Read the Colombo Telegraph story yesterday;http://colombotelegraph.com/2011/10/02/wikileaks-%E2%80%9Crace-is-neck-and-neck%E2%80%9D-rajapaksa%E2%80%99s-chief-pollster-sunimal-fernando/ However Rajapaksa received 67% and Fonseka received 30.45% in Ampara district. See the election results here; http://www.slelections.gov.lk/presidential2010/13A.html
The private lawyer of the Election Commissioner, Elmore Perera challenged the EC Dayananda Dissanayake just after the presidential election (26 January) to appear live on TV and truthfully divulge to the country where, and with whom, Disanayake and his wife were between 3.30 p.m. on 26th January 2010 and 4.45 p.m. on January 27th 2010. Read his challenge here;http://transcurrents.com/tc/2010/03/where_and_with_whom_were_you_a.html
Read the full confidential cable below; Continue Reading
FRINGE MEETING AT CONSERVATIVE PARTY CONFERENCE
BTC / OCTOBER 3RD, 2011 / NO COMMENTS »
Keith Best, former Conservative MP and head of Freedom from Torture highlighted the tragic plight returned deportees to Sri Lanka had to face.
Callum Macrae, producer of Channel 4′s documentary said that the LLRC conducted by GOSL was a whitewash and an independent international inquiry was needed.
Callum Macrae, Channel 4
Federal Conservative MP Patrick Brown on screenig of "Sri Lank's Killing fields" in Canadian Parliament
Barrie MP, Patrick Brown ][ Oct 04 12:39 GMT ]
Subscribe to:
Posts (Atom)