What lies ahead for President Maithri?

By Gangani Weerakoon-NOV 25 2018President Maithripala Sirisena, has once again clearly reiterated that he is not prepared to work with sacked Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe when he declared in Colombo on Friday, his plan to write a book in January 2019 on his “unsuccessful political
marriage with Ranil”.
“I saw the UNP debating without the Government in Parliament. They were treating me like a plaything. The book written by my daughter, titled ‘Janadipathi Thaththa’ was one of the main topics of today’s debate,” President Sirisena said while speaking at the annual Gem and Jewellery Authority Presidential Awards ceremony.
He asked those who criticized his daughter’s book to read ‘Ranil Samaga Asarthaka Deshapalana Deegaya’ based on his experience working with United National Party (UNP) leader Ranil Wickremesinghe in the Coalition Government that was formed in January 2015.
“’Janapathi Thaththa’ was based on my life during Mahinda Rajapaksa’s tenure and how I became the Common Candidate. I would like to say to those who have quoted from my daughter’s book, that by January next year, I am going to write another book which would be titled ‘Ranil Samaga Asarthaka Deshapalana Deegaya’. I invite them to read this book as well.”
He asserted that he would even risk his life for the county and would not worry about losing his post or title on his journey to serve the people of Sri Lanka.
“I have only two things to lose. One is this post, and the other one is my life. But I am ready for that. I don’t believe in politicians of this country. I believe in the people of this county who were willing to make Sri Lanka a prosperous country. I firmly believe those who see me as a bad person today will see me as a good person in the future.”
After this event, he met Government members led by his Prime Minister Mahinda Rajapaksa at 7 p.m. at the Presidential Secretariat. The group had met President Sirisena to describe what happened in Parliament earlier on the day and on what grounds they left the Chamber.
President Sirisena, his allies and trusted officials were contemplating on what lies ahead in future with a Vote on Account being scheduled to take place in Parliament next Thursday (29), and a pending Supreme Court decision on 7 December.
As of now, both UNP and UPFA stands neck-to-neck with 105 and 103 seats in Parliament and it is unlikely that TNA or JVP will join either party in forming a Government. This will make sure both parties continuing in a tug-o-war. In the event, Supreme Court decision comes in favour not to dissolve Parliament and President Sirisena not finding a favourable Prime Minister besides Ranil or Mahinda, the political stalemate will continue at least till next June.
That is if one party fails to trade a few MPs from the other party and show their legit majority.
Some 122 Opposition parliamentarians, on Friday, filed a Writ of Quo Warranto challenging the authority of former President Rajapaksa to hold office as Prime Minister, after a No-Confidence Motion was passed against him in the House.
Members of the UNF, JVP and TNA filed an application for a Writ of Quo Warranto which challenges former President Rajapaksa to prove on what authority he holds office as Prime Minister after the Legislature voted twice to defeat him on 14 and 16 November.
The Writ of Quo Warranto, if granted, has power to declare that the person challenged was not entitled to hold that office, lawyers said. The application [CA (Writ) 263/2018] has cited 49 respondents, including Mahinda Rajapaksa, the entire Cabinet of Ministers, State Ministers and Deputy Ministers.
According to a former Minister and UNP front-liner, the Petitioners in their application have stated that Parliament passed a vote of no-confidence against the purported Government, with all Petitioners voting in favour. “Hansard copies have been annexed as proof of this claim, along with 122 individually signed affidavits submitted to Court.”
Prof. Sarath Wijesuriya, convenor of the National Movement for a Just Society has also filed a Writ of Quo Warranto application [CA (Writ) 262/2018]. Both applications are likely to be taken up at the Court of Appeal early next week. In both applications, Petitioners have requested immediate interim relief to restrain Mahinda Rajapaksa from functioning as PM.
Country must go on
While it was evident Ministers and bureaucrats are too involved in the ongoing political crises, President Sirisena had summoned all District and Divisional Secretaries and directed them to continue to concentrate on their day-to-day duties without getting affected by what is happening in Parliament or in politics.
“The country must go on, and people should be served when they come to you,” he has told.
Meanwhile, Chief Economist of the National Economic Council (NEC) of Sri Lanka Prof. Lalith Samarakoon on Wednesday (22) reassured foreign and local investors that the country would be able to pay up its loans by acquisition of several funds from various quarters.
Addressing the Media, at the Cabinet Media Briefing held at the Information Department, Prof. Samarakoon said, in 2019 the country has to meet a US Dollars 1.5 Billion loan repayment instalment. “We already have 650M USD left over from the Hambantota transaction while another one billion USD in Bonds through National Savings Bank, People’s Bank and Bank of Ceylon.”
Prof. Samarakoon also spoke of the downgrading of the country’s credit rating by Moody’s. He said Moody’s decision to downgrade Sri Lanka was based on two facts. The first was the heightened risk of Sri Lanka being unable to pay its debts as the financial conditions of Sri Lanka would be tighter and the second was the slower pace of fiscal consolidation.
He revealed that the Governor of the Central Bank, the Treasury Secretary and he had been summoned to the Cabinet meeting to brief Ministers on the current economic status. This follows comments made by the former Finance Minister Mangala Samaraweera who said foreign funds were not available for Sri Lanka.
“We have ample capacity to pay debt obligations. We have sovereign Bonds which are coming in next year to the tune of US Dollars 1.5 billion. In January 2019 the country has to pay 1000 million US Dollars while in April that same year a sum of another 500 million US Dollars has to be paid.”
At present, he said, the Treasury has savings of USD 650M from the Hambantota Harbour transaction. In addition, Sri Lanka Development Bonds invested through Bank of Ceylon, People’s Bank and National Savings Bank will yield a billion US Dollars.
Discussions are on to acquire another US Dollars 500 million from China Development Bank. He said that within a short period we have made arrangements to get two billion USD. Therefore, there is no need to have any fear regarding the ability of Sri Lanka to pay up loans.
International Community
President Sirisena, during a telephone conversation, has told the Commonwealth Secretary General, Baroness Patricia Scotland that he has acted in accordance with the Constitution of Sri Lanka and would continue to stand for democratic practices.
President’s media division said that he explained that he has very clearly asked the Speaker of Parliament to follow the Parliamentary Standing Orders and conventions and take any vote on a No-Confidence Motion using the electronic voting system or by name.
Baroness Patricia has said that the Commonwealth values Sri Lanka’s adherence to democracy as one of the oldest democracies in Asia and as a long-standing member of the Commonwealth. She assured that the Commonwealth would continue to work in close cooperation with Sri Lanka. She expressed confidence that Sri Lanka would solve the current political crisis amicably.
Meanwhile, the Tamil National Alliance (TNA) met the envoys and representatives of 15 countries at the Opposition Leader’s office in Colombo on Tuesday (20).
Explaining its stance to the international community, with regard to the present unstable political situation, the TNA emphasized on the need to find an early solution to the stalemate in Parliament, in the best interests of the country.
Leader of the Opposition and the TNA, R. Sampanthan accompanied by fourteen TNA Parliamentarians attended this meeting which lasted one and a half hours in which Sampanthan explained the current political situation in Parliament since 26 October.
Speaking to the Media, Sampanthan said that the envoys who met the TNA were told that despite proving that there was no majority for the Government in Parliament twice, on 14 October and 16 October, by 122 MPs, the purportedly-appointed Prime Minister continued to remain in power.
Sampanthan also explained on the horse-trading which had taken place to buy over the MPs by offering money and Cabinet portfolios.
“As we have been focusing on bringing out a new Constitution and on solving several important issues, such as the release of the lands in the North and the East, before 31 December, as it was mentioned by the President, the issue of Tamil Prevention of Terrorism Act prisoners, as well as focusing on fulfilling the United Nations Human Rights Council resolutions before March next year, the current political situation has put the minorities and the country at large in jeopardy,” Sampanthan said.
He also warned that if this situation continues, the law and order situation would collapse paving the way for anti-social elements to take the upperhand.
Sampanthan also mentioned specifically that minorities would be affected very much in case of a breakdown in the law and order situation in the country.
The diplomats from 15 countries, who had participated in the meeting, asked several questions on various issues with regard to the current situation in Parliament.
TNA MP and Spokesman, President’s Counsel M.A. Sumanthiran, said that the diplomats had stated that none of their countries has recognized the new Prime Minister or welcomed him by sending greetings.
“The diplomats responded by saying that they would do their part to put the situation in order in the country,” Sumanthiran added.
The envoys who participated in the meeting with Sampanthan yesterday were from India, Australia, the United States, the United Kingdom, Germany, Japan, France, Norway, the Republic of Korea, South Africa, Switzerland, the Netherlands, Canada and Bangladesh.
Representatives from the United Nations office and the European Union in Colombo also participated in the meeting.
Concerns over IGP
It is no secret that IGP Pujith Jayasundara played a major role in ruining relationship between President Sirisena and Wickremesinghe and preventing any chance of mending the soured affair.
According to reliable sources, the highest echelons of the country are still closely monitoring the activities of IGP Jayasundara. “Recently, two letters - one sent by the IGP and another received by him - were released to the media and to the public.
Both these letters were released in a manner that it would put President Sirisena in an inconvenient situation. Therefore, we are still concerned about the real agenda of the IGP and would initiate an inquiry should the need arise,” sources claimed.
They were referring to two letters exchanged between the IGP and the Secretary to the Ministry of Defence and Senior DIG in charge of the Criminal Investigation Department (CID) over the controversial transfer of Special Investigation Unit’s OIC inspector Nishantha de Silva.
SDIG Ravi Seneviratne, in his letter stated that IP Silva had no links with the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) as had been alleged by former Navy Commander and incumbent Chief of Defence Staff, Admiral Ravindra Wijegunarathne.
He added that Silva was playing a key role in the investigation of high profile criminal cases, including the murder of Editor Lasantha Wickremetunga, the abduction and assault of Deputy Editor Keith Noyahr, and the assaults on Editor Upali Tennakoon and Journalist Namal Perera.
He was also the chief investigator in the abduction and disappearance of 11 youths by Navy personnel involved in an alleged abduction racket. He had also conducted investigations into the alleged enforced disappearance of Cartoonist Prageeth Ekneligoda and the Avant Garde floating armoury case.
Jayasundara on 18 November ordered the transfer of Silva to Negombo with immediate effect. The transfer order signed by Jayasundara bears, No. D/HRM/ADM/1869/2018. Service requirements were mentioned in the order.
Speculation was that the transfer of Silva had been based on his alleged connection with the LTTE.
Seneviratne, in his letter confirmed that there was no information or evidence that Silva is connected to the LTTE.
He further pointed out that there was no information or evidence reported of any involvement in crime or other illegal acts by this officer.
He noted further: “This officer has diligently performed his duties in connection with all investigations assigned by me and currently the cases are ongoing in several Courts. I especially state that the commitment, interest and knowledge of the officer has in several instances helped this Department and the entire Police Department to gain public acceptance.”
Squashing allegations made by CDS Wijegunaratna on 13 November, at the National Security Council and again on 16 November over telephone to IGP Jayasundara that officer de Silva is connected with the LTTE, SDIG Seneviratne has insisted that it is completely fraudulent and baseless.
“Also I inform that as this complaint has not been presented against the particular officer, by any inquiry section or intelligence unit, my standpoint therefore stands confirmed.
Wijegunarathne is a suspect who has to be arrested as per Court Orders by Silva in connection with allegedly aiding and abetting a suspect, former Navy Lieutenant Commander Hettiarachchi Mudiyanselage Prasad Chandana Hettiarachchi, in the case number 9527/18, to evade arrest, the latter is presently remanded over the alleged abduction and disappearance of 11 youths during 2008 and 2009 from Kotahena,” Seneviratne
stated.















Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and recently resigned Defence Minister Avigdor Lieberman have disagreed sharply on how to proceed with Gaza (AFP)



