Hong Kong maid abuse trial to resume next week
Erwiana Sulistyaningsih, left, an Indonesian maid who was allegedly tortured by her employer in Hong Kong, was interviewed by Hong Kong police investigators at a hospital in Indonesia in January. Pic: AP.
Erwiana Sulistyaningsih told the Hong Kong district court last week that she was so ill from her employer’s abuse that she had to wear adult diapers.
After a week hiatus, Erwiana will return to the witness stand Monday morning to continue to give testimony against her former employer Law Wan-tung, who Erwiana says brutally abused her for eight months while she was employed as a domestic worker in Law’s home.
Last Friday, the court watched video footage of the two at Hong Kong International Airport on the day of Erwiana’s departure last January. Erwiana said prior to the video, her employer put make up on her to cover the marks on her face and had her wear an adult diaper because she was unable to use the toilet on her own.
Erwiana told the court that just short of passing through the immigration check point, Law whispered in her ear and threatened the lives of her parents if she spoke of the abuse to anyone.
Law gave Erwiana a 100,000 rupiah note – about $8 – before she left for Indonesia. Erwiana alleges that this was the only payment she ever received from Law.
Though the 23-year-old was able to reach her gate, Erwiana told the court she was unable to walk when the gate changed. With the help of other Indonesian women on her flight, she was wheeled on a trolley to her gate. Erwiana told the court that one of the women changed her flight in order to accompany Erwiana home.
Counsel for the defense Graham Harris inquired why Erwiana did not make complaint at the airport once Law had left. Erwiana said she was still fearful for the well-being of her family.
After returning home, Erwiana told the court that she was hospitalized for a month in Indonesia due to the injuries she sustained in Hong Kong.
The court heard that Erwiana was unable to walk because of severe blisters on her feet, which Law required her to wrap in plastic bags so she wouldn’t dirty the floor. Erwiana showed the court her scarred, discoloured feet.
Erwiana and the defense also clashed over whether she had been paid her salary of HK $3,580 ($460). The defense produced multiple documents, signed by Erwiana, indicating that she had received cash from the defendant. Erwiana insisted that she was ‘forced’ to sign the documents and only ever received 100,000 rupiah before her departure.
Erwiana’s case gained world-wide attention and prompted a mass protest of thousands in Hong Kong last January, when photos of her alleged abuse were released online.
Law is accused of 20 offenses, including grievous bodily harm with intent and criminal intimidation of Erwiana and two other previous employees Tutik Lestari Ningsih and Nurhasanah. If found guilty, Law could receive a maximum jail sentence of seven years.
The trial was delayed this week due to health requirements of the defense, but will resume Monday morning. After Erwiana’s testimony, the prosecution has called 17 more witnesses, including airport staff and the Indonesian woman who helped her home.
Hong Kong is home to 325,000 domestic workers, who predominantly come from Indonesia and the Philippines, often driven by poverty and lack of economic opportunity. Their minimum allowable wage, around $530/month, is less than Hong Kong’s minimum wage but is often more than what the women could earn in their home countries.
Activists, however, say that requiring domestic workers to live with their employers leaves them prone to abuse and overwork.
The Hong Kong Federation of Domestic Workers Unions is hosting a rally this Sunday Dec. 21 to call on the Chinese government to ratify the International Labour Organization’s Convention C189 on decent work for domestic workers. C189 includes provisions for granting rest days, monitoring employment agencies, and ensuring safe working conditions.
The rally will begin at 10.30am in Tsim Sha Tsui, a popular tourist district in Hong Kong.


















Ports, shipping and highways ministry secretary Ranjith Premasiri is nowadays involved in a special operation visiting government politicians who are likely to crossover to the opposition, reports say.


