By Premalal Wijeratne-Friday, 06 Sep 2013
A lieutenant commander of the Trincomalee Navy Camp and four foreign agents have been arrested by the Matara Police today over their alleged involvement in a large-scale human smuggling racket.
A senior advisor to the Australian Federal Police (AFP), Christopher Wood, responsible for conducting the investigations regarding the scam visited the Matara Police to see the suspects.
Police said the Australian Police officer was involved in investigations in Bangladesh and the Maldives as well.
The lieutenant commander, who was apparently serving in a boat belonging to the Navy, was asked to appear at the Special Investigation Unit of the Matara Police for questioning, where he was arrested, police said.
So far, 22 suspects have been arrested in connection with the racket and amongst them there are three sailors.
According to the police, the suspects have demanded a down payment of Rs 200,000 from prospective illegal migrants from Trincomalee and Jaffna and on the day they board the boat to Australia, each person had to pay Rs 800,000 to the smugglers.
The suspects were produced before the Matara Magistrate and the police took steps to obtain orders to remand the suspects.
Investigations are being carried out by Matara Police Crime OIC Chief Inspector, Dhammika Hapugoda, on the instruction of SSP Deshabandu Tennakoon and Southern Province DIG, McCarthy Perera.
Navy Spokesperson, Commander Kosala Warnakulasuriya, confirmed that an officer attached to the Navy has been arrested on suspicion of being involved in a human smuggling racket. (Ceylon Today Online)
I will not apologize
BY KARUNADASA VIDANAGAMAGE-Friday, 06 Sep 2013

Minister Mervyn Silva doubts that Minister Dulles Alahapperuma would have forgotten the relationship between the Silva family and his family (Alahapperuma), as Minister Alahapperuma had criticized the marriage proposal made by Mervyn Silva to Navanethem Pillay.
Minister Silva made this remark, in response to Minister Alahapperuma's statement that he would apologize on behalf of the whole Cabinet over Silva's indecent proposal that he (Minister Silva) would marry Navanethem Pillay, the United Nation's Human Rights Commissioner, who was in Sri Lanka recently.
"The Sinhala word aseelachara (indecent) is not a word used loosely. I am a man who was born in Ruhuna. I am a strong Buddhist and I love my country. I am prepared to express my views against anyone who tries to destroy my country, be it a local or foreign element," Minister Silva said.
"I didn't invite anyone to go with me to the park, or to pick flowers. I didn't speak of marriage. What I meant was that Pillay should respect our country without carrying on propaganda for the LTTE. But everyone has misunderstood it. All these issues can be attributed to her negative attitude towards Sri Lanka. I won't apologize to anyone whose feelings were hurt. I am a man from Beliatta. I will apologize only to the President and the members of his family," Minister Silva added.
Continuing with his explanation, he said: "I am surprised that Minister Dulles appears to be worried about my statement on Pillay. I think he is angry with me over this remark. Minister Dulles could have spoken to me over the telephone in this regard. Why is he apologizing over such a trivial matter? There are so many other things a minister can apologize for."