Water Is Thicker Than Blood…
By Vijitha Herath, MP-Sunday, August 11, 2013



(Lanka-e-News-10.Aug.2013, 11.00PM) Following an attack launched by a Buddhist extremist group include monks who came from outside and iron rods wielding armed groups on a Muslim mosque situated at Swarna Chaitya road , Grandpass , and neighboring Muslim houses , 8 persons have been hospitalized . Among them are two police officers. Of those hospitalized , one victim is in a critical condition.Grandpass: parties agree to settlement![]() ![]() All concerned parties including the Buddhist and Muslim clergy have agreed to amicably resolve the issues that led to Saturday night’s attack in Grandpass, where a newly built Muslim praying Centre was damaged.The parties had decided to develop the old Mosque and remove the newly built prayer centre, sources said. The decision has been taken following a meeting held at the Buddha Sasana and Religious Affairs Ministry, Colombo 02. The meeting was attended by JHU General Secretary Champika Ranawaka, Western Province governor Alavi Maulana, Minister Dinesh Gunawardena, Minister Rishad Badhiutheen, Minister Rauff Hakeem, Inspector General of Police N.K. Illangakoon and Buddhist and Muslim Clergy. Speaking after the meeting, JHU General Secretary Champika Ranawaka told reporters that the government and authorities would help to develop the old mosque. Parties had also agreed to remove a Bo tree that was near the mosque. Western Province governor Alavi Maulana said an outside gang had attacked an old mosque in Grandpas area making a threat to the harmony between the communities in the area. (YP & LSP) |
11 August 2013 
Several houses were also damaged in Saturday's clashes
The United States Embassy is concerned by the attack on Grandpass Mosque on August 10. This incident is particularly troubling in light of a number of recent attacks against the Muslim community in Sri Lanka. Targeting any place of worship should never be permitted and we urge calm from all sides. We call for prosecution of perpetrators in this attack and an end to religious-based violence. The right of all Sri Lankans to practice the religion of their choice should be protected.
The Muslim Council of Sri Lanka (MCSL) today condemned the attack carried out on a mosque in Grandpass by “some racist elements” while Muslims had been engaging in prayers last night. 
Sri Lanka has seen yet another incident of violent behavior motivated by hate, greed and arrogance. Theattack on the Masjid (Prayer Centre) on Swarna Chaitya Road, Grandpass, during prayers no less and just after the Holy month of Ramadan is a despicable act by one of the so called Buddhist armies, formed to protect “Sinhala Buddhism”, as the Buddhist “temple” bell rang out..
As the full facts of the mayhem at Weliweriya came to light this week, the brutalities inflicted by the army on protestors and bystanders caught in the melee, was horrifyingly inevitable. It was a natural culmination of all that we had allowed to happen in the preceding years through clear complicity in applauding a Government bloated with arrogance and through equally clear omission coupled with a blind refusal to acknowledge the monster for what it has become.
The clash between Muslims and Sinhala Biuddhists in Grandpass was caused by a message sent by Defence Secretary Gotabhaya Rajapaksa to a monk affiliated to the Sihala Ravaya organization.
Muslim Minister of the Sri Lankan Government today expressed their unequivocal condemnation of the “premeditated and planned” attack on a mosque in Grandpass and called for an independent investigation.
They called upon the President to instruct law enforcement agencies to apprehend and punish the perpetrators of this “anti-national act.”
A well –planned dastardly attack was launched by armed Buddhist extremists against an Islamic Mosque in the Sri Lankan Capital of Colombo on Saturday August 10th 2013 while “Maghrib”(After Sunset) prayers were in progress