Govt. withdraws funds from TNA councils
The Government has withdrawn more than Rs 560 million allocated for development work to Northern Province local councils controlled by the Tamil National Alliance (TNA).�The move comes in a year during which Northern Provincial Council elections will be held as pledged by President Mahinda Rajapaksa.
By Chris Kamalendran-Sunday, January 27, 2013
The Government has withdrawn more than Rs 560 million allocated for development work to Northern Province local councils controlled by the Tamil National Alliance (TNA).�The move comes in a year during which Northern Provincial Council elections will be held as pledged by President Mahinda Rajapaksa.
The funds were meant for rural roads, construction of new buildings for local councils, building new markets and other structures in 2013, Jaffna’s Local Government Assistant Commissioner S. Jeyaharan told the Sunday Times yesterday. The directive for the withdrawal, he said, had come from the Ministry of Local Government.
Other sources said that the funds in question would be placed in the hands of the Governor of the Northern Province for utilisation in projects he identified.�A local councillor alleged that the withdrawal of funds from only the TNA-controlled councils was politically motivated.
“They do not want us to spend these funds for development work because they fear we will win votes at the Provincial Council elections. Whatever happens, the people know we represent them,” Velvettithurai Urban Council member M. K. Sivajilingam said.�
He charged that in councils where the pro-government Eelam People’s Democratic Party (EPDP) was in control, there had been no withdrawal of funds. “They are allowed to spend freely on projects,” Mr. Sivajilingam complained. The EPDP is led by Traditional Industries and Small Enterprises Minister Douglas Devananda.
Of the 17 local councils in the North, 13 are controlled by the TNA.
| Law student loses hand due to doctor’s negligence |
| [ Sunday, 27 January 2013, 02:02.50 PM GMT +05:30 ] |
Initial inquiries have found that the amputation of a law student’s hand, after suffering fracture injuries in a fall, was caused due to negligence on the part of the doctor who treated her and the medical staff at the Matara Hospital. |
| The Law Faculty student Achala Priyadarshinie was admitted to the Matara Hospital on January 17 with fracture injuries in her left hand, after falling down a flight of stairs at her home. There her hand was bandaged and when she informed hospital staff of continues pain they had injected her with the pain killer ‘Pethidine’. However, as her condition worsened she was transferred to the Karapitiya Hospital and again to the Colombo National Hospital for further treatment. Upon being admitted to the Colombo National Hospital, doctors had diagnosed that the only way to treat her at the current condition was to amputate the hand and they had proceeded to do so. The university student is left-handed and therefore even writes using her left hand. Health Minister Maithripala Sirisena had visited the Colombo national Hospital this morning to look into her condition. She had then related the entire incident to the Minister. The minister had assured that immediate action would be taken to punish those found responsible. ![]() |
Probe launched into amputation of student’s arm
A special committee has been appointed by the Health Ministryg to probe into the incident of a below- elbow amputation of a female law student from Matara.
Health Ministry Spokesman W. M. D. Wanninayake speaking to the Daily Mirror said the patient who suffered a fall and fractured her left arm had been admitted to the Matara hospital a few days ago. Due to her complaining of an extreme pain in the fractured arm even following medications, measures had been taken to transfer her to the Colombo National Hospital where a below-elbow amputation had been carried out on the fractured arm on Thursday (24).
Mr. Wanninayake said the committee appointed by Health Ministry Secretary, Dr. Nihal Jayathilake under the instructions of Health Minister Maithripala Sirisena, consists of Deputy Director - General Medical Service, Dr. Ananda Gunasekara and several other medical specialists.
“The committee has been instructed to launch immediate investigations into the incident and they are to probe into the reasons led to the amputation of the arm,” Mr. Wanninayake said adding, if the committee findings determine the amputation was an avoidable measure, strict action will be taken against the medical officials who prescribed the amputation. (LP)
Health Ministry Spokesman W. M. D. Wanninayake speaking to the Daily Mirror said the patient who suffered a fall and fractured her left arm had been admitted to the Matara hospital a few days ago. Due to her complaining of an extreme pain in the fractured arm even following medications, measures had been taken to transfer her to the Colombo National Hospital where a below-elbow amputation had been carried out on the fractured arm on Thursday (24).
Mr. Wanninayake said the committee appointed by Health Ministry Secretary, Dr. Nihal Jayathilake under the instructions of Health Minister Maithripala Sirisena, consists of Deputy Director - General Medical Service, Dr. Ananda Gunasekara and several other medical specialists.
“The committee has been instructed to launch immediate investigations into the incident and they are to probe into the reasons led to the amputation of the arm,” Mr. Wanninayake said adding, if the committee findings determine the amputation was an avoidable measure, strict action will be taken against the medical officials who prescribed the amputation. (LP)













